TomTom Go 540 live think on button is stuck in.

Hi first of all im really sorry if this is in the wrong place maybe it could be moved if wrong?

I have a TomTom go 540 live its just over 2 years old, the battery is dead so when i come to charge it up i plug it in the laptop and the TomTom logo comes on and trhen i getr a black screen with 2 colums of white writing saying hardware type, bootloader vetrsion, checksum, etc.

The power button lookes as tho its stuck in just slight indented inwards and when i press it there is no clicking or feeling as tho its being turned on or off.

If the button is stuck in would it bring up this screen when i try charge it? it comes up strasight away after the tomtom logo and i cant switch it off, i have wait for the battery to drain.

Anyone had this problem? im really dissapointed as it cost ?250 and yeas its 2 year old but ive used it less then 20 times so its never had moneys worth, any idea cost to fix if i have send back to tomtom? or anyone know other companys that can repair cheaper?

sorry its goes on a bit really appreciate any help, and once again im sorry if this is placed wrong place.

Indeed a stuck power button on an x40/ x50 model will cause the black screen with white text on it, a stuck button isn't unheard of either on these models.

If you feel up to taking the case to bits to clean out the power button I have some instructions on taking it to bits, quite often a bit of fluff out of ones pocket could have got in and jammed the switch actuator.
One of the other moderators on here had this jammed on/ off switch happen with his 940 as I recall (Andy_P) - Mike

Welcome to TTF.

That screen you are seeing is the diagnostic screen which normally can only be gotten to by holding the power button and continuing to hold it past the rebooting (drum sounds) which takes about 10 seconds and holding it for a further 10 seconds or so.

So, yes, it seems as if the button is stuck rather than perforing normally.

You do not need the unit to be on to charge it.

I wonder if a very quick blast of WD-40 or other lubricant might help loosen the button.

<snip>
I wonder if a very quick blast of WD-40 or other lubricant might help loosen the button.

With all due respect, I wouldn't use WD-40. It is a 'Water Displacement' type solvent, but would take days for it to evaporate and if turned on too soon may short out some electronics. There is a electrical contact cleaner that might work?and it evaporates very quickly. This was used to clean (and lube) the old-fashioned TV tuners and volume controls.

pRS1C-2266299w345.jpg

You don't need respect, Rick. Just say, "dhn, you're a bloody idiot for suggesting that!" :D

Thanks, I hesitated somewhat when I suggested the WD-40. I should have known better.

Thanks for the clarification.:thumb:

No problem dhn. I would never say, "you're a bloody idiot". You're a great help to a lot of people here on this forum and much appreciated by all! :wave:

I have nothing useful to contribute apart from my avatar :lol:

I have nothing to add except to say, yes, it was my 940 where the switch died. Actually, to be more accurate it was the button/actuator that died, the switch itself underneath was OK.

I've read somewhere TomTom refuses to sell the .50 cent power on button part that transformed my TomTom One XL into a paper weight.

Please tell me this is not true, and if true did you find a work around?

@Mod: If so why does it not power on when power is supplied to the USB and can this be fixed?

In addition to "planned obsolescence", which is very frustrating in this day and age, the speed limits we have to enter despite it being on the maps, and other data like bookmarks, would be a great loss.

Thanks!

Hi first of all im really sorry if this is in the wrong place maybe it could be moved if wrong?

I have a TomTom go 540 live its just over 2 years old, the battery is dead so when i come to charge it up i plug it in the laptop and the TomTom logo comes on and trhen i getr a black screen with 2 colums of white writing saying hardware type, bootloader vetrsion, checksum, etc.

The power button lookes as tho its stuck in just slight indented inwards and when i press it there is no clicking or feeling as tho its being turned on or off.

If the button is stuck in would it bring up this screen when i try charge it? it comes up strasight away after the tomtom logo and i cant switch it off, i have wait for the battery to drain.

Anyone had this problem? im really dissapointed as it cost ?250 and yeas its 2 year old but ive used it less then 20 times so its never had moneys worth, any idea cost to fix if i have send back to tomtom? or anyone know other companys that can repair cheaper?

sorry its goes on a bit really appreciate any help, and once again im sorry if this is placed wrong place.

Point of order:
I've never heard of a "GO XL" as described in your profile. Am curious to know the first two characters of your serial number.

Ask a Question