Go 5100

TomTom Model(s)
Hi, I've had my new TomTom about 3 weeks now and it seems to be slowly dieing! It now takes approx 2 minutes to boot up! It doesn't charge the battery whilst in use sat in the docking station, and a couple of occaisionally its switched into voice activation mode, though I'm hoping it Talk Sport radio causing this! Any advice welcome.

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. If that doesn't help, try support:

United Kingdom
02079 490 134
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

It doesn't charge the battery whilst in use sat in the docking station, and a couple of occaisionally its switched into voice activation mode, though I'm hoping it Talk Sport radio causing this! Any advice welcome.
David has already covered the slow boot, so I'll tackle these two.

First, can you explain how it is you have established that it is not charging in the docking station? Is this just because you're seeing the battery deplete while you are driving? Are you using the charger/cable that came with the unit? If you plug something else ito the charger, does it appear to be able to charge that other device?

Yes, sometimes talk radio will initiate the voice control. No idea why these things respond the way they do sometimes. However, you can create a custom wake up phrase of your own that may be less prone to this than "Hello TomTom" tends to be. For example, you could set it up to respond to "Hello Fifty One Hundred", or "Hello Serena" (I peeked at your IP address to find out who she was - your profile doesn't include location info).

Thanks for your help.

I have tried the drum reset but still the same..

As soon as I remove the TomTom from the docking station it informs me it will "Sleep" in 15 seconds,but after another 5 seconds the battery empty red alarm flashes on the screen, even after a long journey! I have used a good quality USB extension lead from the power source in the car, then using the original but short TomTom lead to the docking station.

I'll change the settings of the voice control this afternoon and hopefully that will be sorted.

Think I may have a duff? Have never been impressed with the TomTom software reliability, having used them for over 15 years now so really disappointed with this now.

You charge the device while it is connected to the computer for a couple of hours. Don't use the mount for charging.

@David
The way you said that, it almost sounds like it would be normal to charge off the PC and not to charge in the dock, though I know what you meant --- let's be sure the OP knows!
@Craig
David is suggesting that you try using your PC to charge the battery to see if that works. If it does, then we know that the unit is charging OK and that the issue is somewhere in the vehicle cabling. I noted in your last post that you are using some sort of USB 'extension lead'. While there should be no reason why that wouldn't work if it's a decent wire gauge, it is an added variable that we never typically see.

Hi David, thanks for clarifying that, I did indeed read the moderators comment as if he was implying that the device does not charge from the docking unit! Was considering other forums!

So, 3 hours on charge this evening via the laptop, disconnected and still Red Battery Low warning after 5 secs! Return to vendor yes?

Ask a Question