Go 510 won't connect to PC

I am trying to get me new to me 510 to connect to my laptop. I did a reset, installed TomTom Home on my PC, and am trying to connect with the USB TomTom dock. When I power on the TomTom, it asks if I want to connect to a computer, I select Yes, then it just sits there on the green/white screen with the picture of the white TomTom on it. Nothing else happens and TomTom Home says no device connected.

Any ideas appreciated.

Try doing a pin reset (carefully - not so easy on a 510) and then try it in the dock again.

If home still does not recognize it, see if windows will. If so, download and run the TomTom clear-flash tool and see if that helps.

Does the unit operate OK out of the dock ?

Try doing a pin reset (carefully - not so easy on a 510) and then try it in the dock again.

If home still does not recognize it, see if windows will. If so, download and run the TomTom clear-flash tool and see if that helps.

Does the unit operate OK out of the dock ?

Yes, it navigates fine out of the dock---works just fine. I want to dock it so I can put updates on it. I already tried the pin reset (a few times). If I wanted to just sell the thing, how much could I get if I can't get it to dock?

Did you try the clear flash tool as suggested? The link is here.

If that doesn't work, check the info in this link

If that doesn't help, use Explorer to backup your unit's contents Make sure hidden files/folders are showing.

Now, format the internal memory of the unit and use Explorer to copy back everything.

Does that help?

Last edited:
Did you try the clear flash tool as suggested? The link is here.

If that doesn't work, check the info in this link

If that doesn't help, use Explorer to backup your unit's contents Make sure hidden files/folders are showing.

Now, format the internal memory of the unit and use Explorer to copy back everything.

Does that help?

I will try that flash tool tonight. The TomTom doesn't show up in Windows explorer (like a digital camera does), when I have it connected, so I don't know if the PC will be able to download stuff to it or wipe the memory. I will give it a try though.

Thanks for the ideas......

I was going to try the Flash tool, but the PC will not recognize the Tomtom when it is connected via USB. When I unplug the USB cable from the PC, the Tomtom screen changes so I think there is some kind of connect between the devices. I am logged into the XP machine as Administrator, so I should have rights to add new devices.

I have also done a reset with a paper clip a few times....no luck there either. Any other ideas?

it is starting to sound like you got a new to you bad unit. I have a similar 910 whole USB circuit went out, and it was replaced under warranty 9not possible with yours).

Windows senses the device, but does not appear to recognize what it is. If that cannot be cleared, you may just want to continue to use it as-is. New applications will really do not matter unless you want to purchase and download new maps.

if you can pair the 510 with a cell/PDA that you have a date plan on, you would be able to download GPSfix and some other services through the data connection.

Ask a Question