GO 510 will not backup or update

TomTom Model(s)
go 510
Was given a GO 510 by a friend. This has never been updated since it was bought new. It connects all ok to TomTom home (latest version) and its telling me it needs a system software update (will not let me uncheck the tick box) and gps quick fix. I have the unit and the pc on mains power and the docking station into the pc via the usb cable. When I try and either back up or update it just sits there with the cog spinning. Have left this overnight and nothing. I have to then eject the unit to get out of it. Luckily it still works ok. Have tried this a few times now with the same story. Any ideas ?. Is it worth updating as it works fine anyway ?.
Thanks

Does the computer 'see' the device when the unit is connected? If so, do an Explorer, not Home, backup. See here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

Then delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect the unit to Home and a new application should be offered. Accept and install. Disconnect properly from Home using the DEvice Disconnect icon.

Reconnect to Home and see if any further application updates are offered. If so, repeat the process till no further updates are offered.

Now, go back and see if anything else is offered when you Update my Device.

If it has never been updated, then you may need to use the original version of Home ("Home v1") first.
The process is to update the software as far as you can with v1, then switch to Home 2 and do the same thing until it doesn't update any further.
(On each version, you may need to do several cycles of updating, rebooting and then selecting update again to get as far as it can go).

Home v1.6 (or v1.5 for Macs) can be downloaded from the same webpage as Home v2, but it's an easily missed text link BELOW the main download links for v2.

See here:
http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=16&tab=87

Ask a Question