full memory

My 720 memory is almost full so any further updates will not fit to the internal memory,
I would be grateful for a step by step guide as to how I put the maps in internal memory on to an sd card.
Hope you can help.

1. Get at least a 4-gig sdhc card and a reputable brand, the faster the speed, the better (class 4 or above).
2. Instal the card in the unit or a card reader and connect the unit to the computer. Do NOT start Home.
3. Use Explorer and copy the North_America_2gb map to the card.
4. Ensure the map and contents have copied properly.
5. Remove the map folder from the unit. Disconnect the unit proerly from the computer.
6. Install the card in the unit (if copying was done when it was in a card reader).
7. Start the unit and you are good to go.

know this probably has been asked alot on these forums. Now that I have moved my maps to a card, what about when I hook it up to do updates on HoME? It asks where to put the updates. Unit or Card. Am I basically putting everything on the card when it comes to maps?

Thank you

When you have the card inserted, connect to Home and select the external storage when the selection screen appears. That's assuming, of course, that the existing map resides on the card.

Having said that, some report a flaw in the latest Home application such that even if the user DOES select external when Home starts, nevertheless Home tries to put update on internal as well or, in some cases ,internal but NOT the (selected) external!

So, keep an eye on that...................

Thank you for that info.
Also should I keep an eye on the updates. If its firmware I should choose the unit over the card?

After move/copy the map from the unit (internal drive?) to the external sdcard, should I just remove the old map from the unit to free up space; that way if the Home insisting on updating the map on the unit itself, it should have enough room. I will just move it over to the sdcard again after completion of update just as you suggested. Will this be ok? Thanks.

--anon

Memory getitng low

Have Go 730. Running 8.351 with map version 840.2562. Just noticed free space down to 30 megs. Is that due to the new map? Have quite a few POI files loaded in the map folder and it's about 1.77 gig. Is that normal for that map version?

It may be. Any custom poi files you happen to dl will not take up much space, nor will regular mapshare and gpsquickfixes.

That said, you may want to get yourself a reliable 4-gig sdhc card and transfer your map to it. (That's how I run my NA map here). That'll free up lots of space for any mp3's or photos, etc, you may wish to install.

I wiped internal., then reinstalled OS and latest map. Still had over 100 megs space. It's the expanded 835 POI files that have taken up the additional space. I've already got 3 gigs of music on my 4 gig card. Time for an 8 gig card I guess.

Ask a Question