Memory full, no content visible with Explorer/Finder

The deviceis TomTom GO 720, no memory card used.
I bought the device two years ago with preinstalled Eastern Europe, Western Europe and Canary Islands maps. Last November I bought the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB map (online). Using TomTomHome I made a backup, deleted the Canary Islands and the Western Europe maps, and installed the 2 Gb map.
Yesterday I bought the latest version of the 2 Gb map, deleted the earlier 2 Gb map (unfortunately without backing the device up this time) and proceeded with the update. During the installation I got an error message that the memory is full, and the update failed.
After this my device displays only the Eastern Europe map.
In TomTom Home (Manage my GO) I can see that the memory is almost full. I tried to restore from the backup (with the original 3 maps), but the device still has only the Eastern Europe available, on Manage my GO/Items on the Device there are NO maps displayed at all.
Also, when accessing the Internal Memory as a disk in the Mac OS Finder (as well as in Windows Explorer) , there is NO Eastern Europe or ANY OTHER map (files and/or folders) to be found. The total size of the files on the Internal Memory is couple dozen Mb (while, as I wrote before, TomTom Home says its close to full (2 Gb), and there is no way to install my new 2 Gb map OR to find the 2 Gb map that was installed and functional since November, or even to restore to my backup with the three original separate maps.

Is there a way to clear/reset the device to regain its functionality?

Personally, I'd do this. Get a 4-gig sdhc card. Install in the unit.

Your newly downloaded map should be found here........

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\.

Connect your unit to Home with the 4-gig sdhc card installed. You will be asked whether you want internal or external storage (i.e, the card). Select the card.

Now, in Home, goto Add Maps/etc.

It should show the new map on the computer. Select it and install on the card.

Ask a Question