Fuel Prices for 920 in Q1 2008

http://www.clubtomtom.com/general/pay-less-at-the-pump/

TomTom is proud to unveil TomTom Fuel Prices, a new service that finds the lowest gas prices so travelers can make the best choices for fueling up. TomTom Fuel Prices will be available for TomTom 920 and 920T users in the US starting in Q1 2008.

TomTom Fuel Prices sends real-time pricing updates for US service and gas stations directly to your TomTom 920 or 920T over-the-air*. Subscribers can also receive real-time prices through TomTom HOME.

?TomTom Fuel Prices is yet another example of our commitment to innovation, personalization and ease of use,? said Jocelyn Vigreux, President of TomTom Inc. ?We are proud to introduce this valuable service for our 920 and 920T users, as gas prices continue to be top of mind for consumers this year.?

From their device, users can select whether to list gas stations by location or price, and can request the lowest gas prices on their route, nearby or within a user selected mile radius. Travelers can also choose which type of gas they would like tracked, Regular, Midgrade, Premium, or Diesel. Updated gas prices for that specific type of fuel will be downloaded automatically over-the-air through a Bluetooth phone or when connected to TomTom HOME. TomTom?s Fuel Prices service will be available in Q1 2008 through TomTom HOME for $14.95 per year for TomTom GO 920 and GO 920T users.

* Over-the-air updates are accessible via a compatible Bluetooth phone and a wireless data plan.

The few cents per gallon you save by driving to the lowest price gas station will be absorbed by the gas milage and the price of this subscription. For $14.95 a year they better have real time prices for all gas stations which seems impossible as fast as prices change these days. How can this system work?

The few cents per gallon you save by driving to the lowest price gas station will be absorbed by the gas milage and the price of this subscription. For $14.95 a year they better have real time prices for all gas stations which seems impossible as fast as prices change these days. How can this system work?

I agree. This is a non-starter in my opinion.

Actually where I buy fuel in Bellingham the is more then a few cents. As of Monday it had an average of $3.25/9 at the major chains and fred meyer had it for $2.97/9 and Costco had it for $2.76/9. These were all in an approximate 5 miles from the I-5 corridor.

Given that Costco executive members receive an additional 2% off, and and.1/2% if using an american express platinum card this brings their price down to $2.70 per gallon, or an average savings of 55.9 cents a gallon.

Now I average 20 gallons per fill up so I saved about $11.18 for a maximun of a 5 mile detour, not to mention the coffee and other things I bought during my stop.

To me I would proably consider this, especially when I drive my gmc dually which has over a 35 gallon gas tank.

My opinion only

Tim

I agree with you tharvey. I dont think the idea is so your driving miles out of your way to save a few cents. There are definitely times when this comes in handy. For example, on long road trips if you can see that gas is 10 cents cheaper an exit further down the highway, it would definitely save you from going to the more expensive station. I think this is a great idea from TomTom and will definitely get more use as gas prices rise and become more of an issue with consumers.

I think you're on the right track. I know where the cheep gas is in my town but not when I'm traveling. However "Live Search" on my cell phone will do the same thing for free.

I think this would be most useful to someone who drives commercially... a trucker, or someone who does lots of long deliveries or constant road trips. You're both using more gas and probably driving in less familiar areas, so saving a few cents a gallon on average might eventually work out. If you save an average of $0.05/gallon you'd need to buy 300 gallons before the subscription price is worth it, but if you're driving a long-haul truck or putting lots of miles on a service truck or even a company car, you could make that pay. I don't see how it would be a good deal for ME, but I buy most of my gas at Costco anyway. How's that for false economy? Buying gas lures me into the store. ;)

I don't know if what applies locally is true for the whole continent but I've observed that the cheapest gas is usually at the same locations months after months and nearly year after year.

Locally, there is only one Costco with gas but is the cheapest within hundreds of miles. Then the Flying-G are usually the cheapest on the hyghway or most places dedicated to trucks. Quite often, the service stations immediately beside will try to equal the prices but may be a couple of cents higher.

Also, when travelling in foreign states, one can use GasBuddy beforehand which will tell you where the cheapest can be found within a state. Most often, where it is the cheapest today will also be true within the month or, if there is a difference, it will be minimal.

I travel in a motorhome at 10 mpg, typically using 800 to 1000 gallons a year. I mostly use Shell stations because my Shell MC gives me 5% off. When traveling, we don't always follow our planned route and don't always have Internet access, so Gasbuddy isn't much help.

Being able to find the gas prices along my route up to 500 miles ahead (55 gallon tank) in a few seconds, and saving 10 to 15 cents or more per fillup (40+ gallons), makes the $15 yearly charge a bargain. It wouldn't be worth it for my Camry (30 mpg), which normally is driven locally or short trips.

Ask a Question