Firmware 6.52x stops my TTS

If you are one that had (an ilegal) TTS running on your TomTom device and you loved it, yet you find out that with this latest and 'greatest' firmware version that your TTS is now disabled. You are probably one of the the many users in this and any other PND forums trying to find a way to get that back!

Only to find that every time it gets brought up in any forum the inevidable happens. The Mods shut it down and lock the thread. Now you might give up hope, start googling Loquendo TTS - (in case you didn't know, that's the company that provides the engine for the data of your Dave, Susan, Erik, Frank, and other TTS voices.) Or you might start PMing other forum memebrs to find out why it seems so tabo and get around that 'loop hole'. (for lack of a better phrase)

I've done some googling and dogpiling myself and I have found out that apparently (from what I've read and discovered) you cannot, as an individual, purchase Loquendo software.

Now you may be asking yourself, "battom doesn't have a TomTom device that ever had the ability for TTS so why is he looking at this stuff? "
But I'll ask you this instead....

Why keep asking how you can get back what you had, (ilegally) when you should be asking where can you get something new that will work with what you have?

I know, blah... blah... blah... blah blah. Right?

Well it occured to me. I've only had this device for about 3 weeks and I have completely gutted it and customized it for my needs and wants. Within the realm of practicallity and physical limtation anyway....
Can you do this with a Garmin? (I'm not sure but I read the answer is no.)

Any techies out there know that the TomTom is a linux OS and linux is open source. Open source could mean a great deal of possibilities for anyone with the desire to learn or create something wonderful. (Did you know that most open source stuff is FREE? Of course you may be asked to DONATE ;) for the software but let's face it, nothing is ever completely free). I was really surprised not to find more about creating something new for the lost TTS feature of us NON-910ers on OpenTom but maybe I missed it. If I did, then maybe you missed it to? If you find it, please let me know!

So why ask how do I get it back? Ask is there another solution?

.... No, I currently do not have it. :confused: But yeah, why not look? :D

Just my 3 cents.:cool: You're welcome to give me back my change if you like. ;)

Last edited:
I just realized why I haven't found someone else's work on a new solution yet....

When did the new firmware come out that broke this? Just before Christmas? I'm sure someone with way more linux experience will come up with something soon. After all, didn't this just become a 'problem'?

Sorry I ranted on earlier....

Ask a Question