Finally had it with the windshield mount

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Let's face it - the factory windshield mount that TomTom gave me with my GO 720 sucks -- it just won't stay on the windshield.

I finally got tired of fooling with it and bought an Arkon mount from a seller on eBay. It took a little effort to adjsut the mount properly, but it's solid, sturdy, and with a locking system for the suction cup, this thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

For those having windshield mount issues, I hightly suggest the Arkon product. On eBay, I got it for $10 plus shipping.

Not even saliva. Before placing the TT into the mount, place the mount against the windshield and press very firmly right in the middle where the arm comes against the cup. Press it against the glass as hard as you can. Then attach the TT.

Mine finally started crapping out as well. I find mine messes up with extreme temperature changes. I don't have a garage so the temp changes from morning to day usually cause it to lose suction somewhere along the way.

I have tried a little saliva, rubbing alcohol, you name it.

Mine finally started crapping out as well. I find mine messes up with extreme temperature changes. I don't have a garage so the temp changes from morning to day usually cause it to lose suction somewhere along the way.

I have tried a little saliva, rubbing alcohol, you name it.
Since it's rubber, I think the alcohol would ruin it over time.

Ya window mount suck, lol. It attrack theives. Too many people have them like that or leave the mont there. I see so many of them :eek: maby I will put fleyers on their windshield:

"If I was a theive I would have break into your car to search for your GPS, don't be fool, hide your mount and wash that black ring":cool:

I've only had my Go 920 for 10 days, but I had serious concerns about the mount based on seeing it in the store before my purchase. I'm amazed at how solid it seems to be so far. I drive a Ford E250 van, a medium duty van - not the best choice for a smooth ride.

I prepared the windshield with alchohol, allowing it to dry prior to attaching the mount. So far the mount seems rock solid.

My mount has stayed in place for months, through the winter and into the spring in the northeast US, sitting outside in the sun all day. In the beginning it would slip off, but, as advertised, a little, repeat a little, saliva and a careful push in the center did the trick. I suspect now that I won't be able to get it off without damaging it.

If it isn't connected to anything, it shouldn't be thief bait, no? I live in Baltimore City and we have plenty of petty theft, so I am lucky so far.

Cheers

At one time I tried moving my Garmin mount to another car and ended up damaging the suction cup during removal - leaving a small ring of rubber on the windshield.

Regarding theft, the presence of the mount is an indication that there MAY be something in the vehicle that would attach to it.

my 720's mount has been great.. really strong. even though around here in northern va, you can't leave your tomtom mounted anyway. they'll steal it, quickly.

Before placing the TT into the mount, place the mount against the windshield and press very firmly right in the middle where the arm comes against the cup. Press it against the glass as hard as you can. Then attach the TT.

This is the secret.
Many users make the mistake of placing the unit on the mount and then placing it to the windshield. You need to go in order: mount on windshield, then unit.

I just came back from a trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and back. No problems with the mount with the heat.

This is the secret.
Many users make the mistake of placing the unit on the mount and then placing it to the windshield. You need to go in order: mount on windshield, then unit.

I just came back from a trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and back. No problems with the mount with the heat.
Oh yes, that's the way I have been doing it, with a dab of saliva! I didn't think that putting the mount on first made all the difference!

Ask a Question