Favorites - File issues

I had a freeze on my TomTom920T Would not get past splash screen so i backed up my favorite file MapSettings.cfg. I reinstalled the software for the tomtom and it functions properly now however when i try to replace the MapSettings.cfg all seems good untill i turn it on and it doesnt have any of my favorites.

I Go back into the map folder and the file i put in there has been replaced and the basic 2kb config file is in there. What am i doing incorrect? Could there be some command lines in the config that could cause it to bypass my mapsettings.cfg and replace it with default?

Any info is apperciated.
Thanks

P.S. I can post the files up if someone can make sense of it.

Last edited:
I browsed the directory from My Computer and went into the NorthAmerica map folder and retrieved the file called MapSettings.cfg
This is the only copy of the file i have.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ive tried a bunch of things.

I have the G:\North_America folder open. I move the proper Mapsettings.cfg to the folder its 19kb, Then i start tomtom home. Navigate to operate my device. TomTom Home then goes to the gps screen and the folder G:\North_America flashes and the Mapsettings.cfg converts back to the basic file 2kb.

I was able to open your file and retrieve what I think were all of your favorites. They are saved as a TomTom POI file called RADD.OV2 (inside RADD.ZIP - can't upload an *.OV2 file here!) and attached to this post.

If you unzip the *.OV2 and place that file into your TomTom's NA2GB map folder, you will find it in the POI list as a custom POI. If you want to add them as favorites, your TomTom will let you Add Favorite using a POI. Or you can just leave them as a custom POI. Many people prefer to keep their favorites as a custom POI anyway since these are not disturbed during map updates ...

... which brings me to a question ... did all of this occur right after the 860 map update?

Attachments

• RADD.zip
    507 bytes · Views: 186
That was brilliant! Worked. This thing can be confusing. I managed to open the cfg file with poiedit and get the cords. I started to enter the cordinates into favs then saw your post. Saved me a bunch of time thanks!

No for some reason my TomTom froze on main splash screen. It had started freezing on the splash screen about a month ago and finally wouldnt do anything. I deleted and reinstalled tomtom software then realized i forgot to back up my favorites. I then used file recovery software to get the file back i needed. Im pretty computer literate but this still was a headache! you were a great help.

Last edited:
That was brilliant! Worked. This thing can be confusing. I managed to open the cfg file with poiedit and get the cords. I started to enter the cordinates into favs then saw your post. Saved me a bunch of time thanks!
You were almost there yourself. Within POIEdit, it is fairly obvious which are your favorites and which are only "recent destinations". The latter tend to be only addresses and the former usually have useful names that you've assigned. I just opened it, killed off all of the recent destinations, leaving your favorites, and saved the remainder as an *.OV2.

I still use favorites, but have managed to avoid breaking things with them -- but as I say, there are a lot of folks here who will tell you it's in your best interest to use a custom POI instead.

Glad it worked out for you.

Ask a Question