Export POI files from a different TT

So i have a question for you guys. I've read on here that one reason (besides the maps being more detailed) that the NA maps are larger is because of the POI files that come with them. I thin the 720 has more then the ONE and the 920 has more then the 720 etc.

So would someone be able to take all the POI files from lets say a 720 and give them to someone with a ONE? I know you would need a good amount of space on a SD card to do this. But if I have a 2gb card in my ONE XL, would i be able to get all of the POI's from someone and stick them on there. And if so, would anyone want to help me out with this.

Also, i've heard about branded POIs, which i don't really know much about since i don't have them, but would those transfer as well?

I don't know about the branded ones - that may be map specific if there is additional functionality with those... But I do know that if you just copy the CRIPOI.DAT and the POI.DAT from one to the other, they will work. Of course, any modifications to the default POIs that you've done will then be gone.

A friend of my wife came over with his 920 and wanted me to update his system with the latest Quickfix. I copied his POI.dat and CRPOI.dat files and transferred them to my USA and Canada map on my new 4GB card and it seems to be working right. Of course, I have not done extensive testing yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by branded POIs. If you mean POIs available from Tomtom that can't be edited in POIedit or other 3rd party sw or getting a Garmin POI database? I have a friend with a Garmin Nuvi 350 and its POI is similar to a database in the sense restaurants are divided into different categories such as French, Italian, FastFood etc. I have no idea if they can be extracted to a format compatible to be used on the TT.

by branded i meant people had said like they have mcdonalds and it has specific mcdonalds or icons or something like that.

how big was the poi file from the 920?

and do they have to come from those dat files? when i look in the map folder on my TT it has ov2 files from school, firehouse, and playing field. those were factory installed. so i didn't know if all the 920 had them like that or if you had to grab them in one big chunk. Although i guess that makes sense, sense it only has those on mine and not beaches, restaurants, etc.

by branded i meant people had said like they have mcdonalds and it has specific mcdonalds or icons or something like that.

how big was the poi file from the 920?

and do they have to come from those dat files? when i look in the map folder on my TT it has ov2 files from school, firehouse, and playing field. those were factory installed. so i didn't know if all the 920 had them like that or if you had to grab them in one big chunk. Although i guess that makes sense, sense it only has those on mine and not beaches, restaurants, etc.

The POI.dat file is 276,320,345 Bytes and forgot to mention there is an accompanying BRAND folder that carries 93 icons for some of the brands in POI.dat.

As for additional POIs you may wish to put in the map folder, there are many sources on the Internet that carry them. They have the advantage that you can search for them specifically. You may have all the Harvey's chain in POI.dat but can't choose Harvey's when in the navigate to the restaurant category. In other words, the restaurant chain may have the right icon and be adequately represented but you can't specifically say navigate to Harvey's in city xxx. Another example: say you are making a long trip and wish to fill at Flying J on your way. Flying J may be in your POI.dat but your search will only be available for the gas station category from which you need to check if there are Flying J in there. If you have a Flying J POI.ov2 file, you can know where and how far the closest ones are without having to wade trhu all the available service stations of the category.

Usually people have the most interest in the radar POIs database to start with and available for free from a number of sources depending on your country.

You may have all the Harvey's chain in POI.dat but can't choose Harvey's when in the navigate to the restaurant category. In other words, the restaurant chain may have the right icon and be adequately represented but you can't specifically say navigate to Harvey's in city xxx. Another example: say you are making a long trip and wish to fill at Flying J on your way. Flying J may be in your POI.dat but your search will only be available for the gas station category from which you need to check if there are Flying J in there. If you have a Flying J POI.ov2 file, you can know where and how far the closest ones are without having to wade trhu all the available service stations of the category.

Just for laughs, try this.....navigate to--poi--restaurants--near me--click 'find' and type in 'HARVEY'. What do you get?

(You may need to change 'near me' to 'city' and put in a city where you know there are Harvey's within (I think) 7 miles.)

When you click 'find' and type some letters, my understanding is that the software searches for the letters you've type anywhere in the name of the poi, not just the beginnig.

Just for laughs, try this.....navigate to--poi--restaurants--near me--click 'find' and type in 'HARVEY'. What do you get?

(You may need to change 'near me' to 'city' and put in a city where you know there are Harvey's within (I think) 7 miles.)

When you click 'find' and type some letters, my understanding is that the software searches for the letters you've type anywhere in the name of the poi, not just the beginnig.

You are quite right! My mistake was searching for something specific that did not exist in the city. For instance, choosing the city of Toronto, service station category and searching for Flying-J and you end up with no result which had led me to believe there was no subcategory. With the Flying-J POI file, choosing the City of Toronto, then Flying-J will give you the nearest 2 (Etobicoke and Mississauga) but don't know the criteria such as overall distance or something else. When I looked briefly at my friend's Garmin Nuvi 350, it showed subcategories to the restaurant category such as Italian, Fast-food etc.

Ask a Question