Entering Road Speeds is Tedious Business

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd, GO 720
The following applies to NavCore8:

Problems:
You need road speeds for precise ETA calculations. You also need them to receive "over speed" warnings. However, it takes a frighteningly long time to add accurate road speeds to a map.

Long roads have way too many segments. It's easy to change undesired segments (or the entire road) in one fell swoop.

Scrolling the display can inadvertently select side roads. When scrolling, the device occasionally fails to highlight selected segments (fails to add the selection color over the road). This can lead to de-selection, instead of re-selection.

Fingers are ill-suited for such detailed work.

Some speeds display at "-1 mph" of their set value in the status bar. Speeds I entered as 30, 40, & 50, display as 29, 39, & 49. However, the section I set to 55, displays as 55. Go figure.

Solutions:
Use a stylus! You can get a 3-pack for the Nintendo DS for under $10. Or a soft plastic ball point pen cap works too.

Select "Display Max Speeds next to Speed" in Status Bar prefs, to view which roads your map has data on & which ones it doesn't. Don't do more work than you have to. In my area, there's only speed data for the major highways.

To make small changes to a long road: select a small or unnamed road in the vicinity of the actual segments you wish to alter--on-ramps work well for highways. (You need A road selected for the Segment Corrections feature to work.) Once in Speed Corrections, select "Edit" & de-select that unnamed road. Then proceed to select the individual segments to receive the actual correction.

It's also a good idea to enter your changes from general to specific. For example, say "Main Street" is long & primarily 30mph, but its central downtown blocks are reduced to 20mph and both outer ends are 45mph, before they bleed onto the highway. In this case, select the whole street & set its speed at 30mph. Then follow the above paragraph to make the segment changes for 20 & 45.

So, is there better way to enter them? Maybe a 3rd-party application?

R?

Last edited:
Ricochet - I found your solution by accident when I first started entering speeds. Glad you posted it for all.

Ricochet - I found your solution by accident when I first started entering speeds. Glad you posted it for all.
It was pretty much accidental discovery, all around. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that when (if) this feature sees more widespread use, someone will write a half-decent GUI for entering sectional speeds & names.

Right now, I'm sticking to entering just the "reduced speed zones" on otherwise 'normally' paced roads.

R?

Gotta remember to make a loud, UK Female "slowdown!" wave too...

What happens if your segment is longer than the required speed section? How can you break up these longer sections to match where the speed limit changes??
jeff

What happens if your segment is longer than the required speed section? How can you break up these longer sections to match where the speed limit changes??
jeff

At this time, you can only break up segments at intersections, which is not-so helpful on long country roads.

I usually run into this problem when entering speeds for the surrounding back-roads. I usually set the speed to match the greatest portion of the segment in question..

The problem I've found... so far on the 125 I bought after Christmas... is that when I enter a speed limit on a road without one, the unit will display the speed limit at 1 mph below what I entered! So the main road past my house is 35mph. When I drive down it now, it shows 34mph as the speed limit. When I went back in to correct, thinking I had accidentally entered wrong speed, the damn thing shows I had entered 35!!!!

This has happened on all speed limits I've entered so far. WTF?!

The problem I've found... so far on the 125 I bought after Christmas... is that when I enter a speed limit on a road without one, the unit will display the speed limit at 1 mph below what I entered! So the main road past my house is 35mph. When I drive down it now, it shows 34mph as the speed limit. When I went back in to correct, thinking I had accidentally entered wrong speed, the damn thing shows I had entered 35!!!!

This has happened on all speed limits I've entered so far. WTF?!

This was covered extensively in a prior thread on this subject. The TomTom is a European product, so the default measurements are metric. When you enter 35MPH it is converted to KPH for storage and then back again for display. There is a step where the programmer truncated the intermediate result rather than rounding it. That is why the speeds that come back are 1 MPH lower.

On the 815 map with IQ2, entering road speeds isn't as effective/necessary. The tomtom considers these speeds as "maximums" and uses its IQ2 data to speed up / slow down at speeds lower than the posted limit. I've found that on side streets, it doesn't even have speed limits and uses IQ2 speeds exclusively.

These speed changes happen extremely frequently in urban areas, and I found they correctly adjust for areas where I usually experience congestion, sharp turns, etc.

Turn on "show speed limit next to driven speed" in preferences, and try your route out in demo mode. The demo will show expected speed from IQ2, and in the (few) cases where a speed limit is entered, the demo will show expected speed and speed limit. You may be surprised how accurate the tomtom calculates ETAs with the IQ2 data alone.

In my experience, I've found editing speeds to be mostly unnecessary, except to over-slow roads with stoplights (appears tomtom doesn't calculate stoplight delays)

Ask a Question