Edit custom POI

TomTom Model(s)
go 630
Hello. Is there a way to edit a custom POI? For instance, I have 7-11's loaded into my tomtom 630 that i downloaded from the POI factory website. On my 630, it's not on the map where it is suppose to be, it's about 1/2 mile down the street.

I figured out how to mark map corrections on the unit and correct the pre-installed POI's. However, it doesn't appear to allow me to edit custom POI;s, only the standard ones show. Same thing with a bank branch I want to add new or the local harris teeter. Anytime I do a map correction and then do edit or add POI, I can only modify the pre-installed POI's. Thx

Does the 630 not have a preference-->Manage pois-->Edit and then it lists the categories (including custom ones) in the screen for you to scroll to and select?

This is a great program that ties in with Google Maps or Google Earth.

Downloads

Good Luck!

Thank you. I updated my bank, seemed pretty easy in terms of adding or deleting a POI. But what about moving, especially when the POI files have thousands of entries? For example, the 7-11 convenience store chain. If I ask it to show all POI's in a file, that many makes IE crash. How can I find the particular one I'd like to move?

Does the 630 not have a preference-->Manage pois-->Edit and then it lists the categories (including custom ones) in the screen for you to scroll to and select?

It does have manage poi's and lists the catagories, but only the catagories for the pre-installed poi's that came on the unit, no downlloaded poi's show up there and "find" says nothing found. It's like the manage function will only modify the original .dat file and none of the ov2 files put in.

or am I adding poi's wrong? I just d/l and copy over the ov2 files.

Thanks for the help.

As I said, I'm not sure your model has the capability to modify custom ov2 files. What application version are you running?

Also, you can download a 3rd part tool from here: PoiEdit - Main

Load your custom ov2 file into poi edit, edit the points as necessary and recopy the saved ov2 file back into your map folder.

As I said, I'm not sure your model has the capability to modify custom ov2 files. What application version are you running?

Load your custom ov2 file into poi edit, edit the points as necessary and recopy the saved ov2 file back into your map folder.

It says vers 8.351

Can you recommend a good site to obtain good long/lat to update the points or is there an easier way? Thx agn

Can you recommend a good site to obtain good long/lat to update the points or is there an easier way? Thx agn
Use Google Earth. You can type in the coordinates from the POI file you have opened in POIEdit to get close and then use GE to find the correct spot. Add a placemark (pushpin) in GE, then move it to the exact spot you are looking for. It will show the GPS coordinates, which you can then type back into POIEdit to edit the location of the POI. Then just save the file as an ov2 with the same name as the original, overwriting the original. (Backup anything you're going to replace somewhere off the unit until you're comfortable with the process and sure you're not going to mess anything up.)

Just making sure that you attempted both edit options?

1) Menu -> change preferences -> manage POI -> edit
2) Menu -> map corrections -> correct a map error -> next screen -> edit POI

On my Tomtom 720 the first option lets me edit custom POI categories, and the second option lets me edit built-in POI categories. (why both methods can't edit both category types is kind of silly)

On my Go 630:

1) Menu -> change preferences -> manage POI -> edit will allow you to edit custom POI's but only the name and phone #

2) Menu -> map corrections -> correct a map error -> next screen -> edit POI will allow you to edit and move the built in POI's only

HTH,

Ahh... that's the reason, the manage POI screen won't let you move. Guess POIedit is the only way to solve this problem then.

I wasn't familiar with the limitations of that screen.

I use the large 9xx POI file so I never have to worry about all these custom POIs. I have have to mapshare add 1 or 2 places every now and then, but never need to add a whole category.

Ahh... that's the reason, the manage POI screen won't let you move. Guess POIedit is the only way to solve this problem then.

I wasn't familiar with the limitations of that screen.

I use the large 9xx POI file so I never have to worry about all these custom POIs. I have have to mapshare add 1 or 2 places every now and then, but never need to add a whole category.

Other than size limitations, are their other with regard to using the 9xx POI files? I loaded them both and the 630 doesn't recognize them. I swap the large for the small, the 630 doesn't show any and I swap them back, POI's show.

BTW, thanks all for the responses.

Most people have been successful with a straight swap out. Check out this thread for troubleshooting ideas.

Ask a Question