Does TomTom map will suit my car GPS unit?

Hi all,
I bought a Eclipse head unit (AVN62) from US (I live in Australia)
I did not think about the GPS map problem until I use it.
The map comes with the unit is for North American, therefore I have to find an australian map cd.
From the Eclispe website, they guide me to another website (wereis@) which sell an australian map cd for 295US.
But from Tomtom website, they sell map cd for other Eclipse Unit for 129.-AU.
I am not sure if my unit can use the map for another model. I assume they will, right?

Is there anyway I can try the cd first before buy it?
Or how can I double check if the TomTom map will works in my Eclipse unit (AVN62)

Cheers
Colin

Guess you best call Aussie support. Perhaps they can help:

1300 135 604
Monday - Friday: 09:00 - 17:30 AEST

From what I can gather in Google, the AVN62 is another name for the AVN 6620?

If so, that model doesn't use Tomtom software nor Tomtom maps. So try calling Eclipse at this number.

Thanks mate,
I try to contact with Eclipse and Tomtom, did not get enough info back.
Just wonder how can I know which software the headunit use?
I try to google it either, but did not see any info about which navigation software they use.

Cheers
Colin

This the link to the Eclipse owners manuals, I assume you have the 62D. Surprisingly, although review sites say it uses Navteq maps, the manual says it uses a combination of Teleatlas and Navteq.

Tomtom only supplied some of the Eclipse models with detachable PNDs, and to download maps you would plug the PND into Tomtom HOME or plug it's SD card into Tomtom HOME. None of the Tomtom/Eclipse models use CDs.

I'm pretty sure you'll need a CD direct from Eclipse for this, but I'm talking way out of my experience here as this definitely isn't a Tomtom model. I'd recommend getting in touch with Eclipse to confirm compatibility before buying anything.

Ask a Question