Disabling Voice Navigation? (Please someone chime in here)

I love using the music feature of the TOMTOM910 while getting driving directions. Only problem is, it constantly stops to give voice directions(annoying as hell sometimes). I'm fine with just looking at the tomtom once in awhile to see where to turn. Is their a way to disable the voice completely??? If not, any patches anyone know of???

I love using the music feature of the TOMTOM910 while getting driving directions. Only problem is, it constantly stops to give voice directions(annoying as hell sometimes). I'm fine with just looking at the tomtom once in awhile to see where to turn. Is their a way to disable the voice completely??? If not, any patches anyone know of???

Try this link for the Silent voice:
http://www.gpsice.co.uk/silentvoice.html

Thanks man... looks pretty cool, but i'm assuming that the music will still be paused with silence while driving? It would be nice just to shut the voice nav altogether so you can drive with your tunes playing and just glancing over at the tomtom without it pausing your tunes all the time. Thinking someone must have come up with something. I'm sure I'm not the first to be annoyed with v-nav while driving and listening to tunes...

Thanks man... looks pretty cool, but i'm assuming that the music will still be paused with silence while driving? It would be nice just to shut the voice nav altogether so you can drive with your tunes playing and just glancing over at the tomtom without it pausing your tunes all the time. Thinking someone must have come up with something. I'm sure I'm not the first to be annoyed with v-nav while driving and listening to tunes...

There is a preference setting such that music can still play while the voice is used. Look under Voices (I think) or maybe Multimedia?? (don't have my unit here).

But clearly, you CAN listen to music while driving.

sunray73 is surely one of the last man on earth who could care less about voice guidance :)
Most of people whining ... such.. "why this gps doesn't have TTS, it just has voice guidance only, it's suck" or "I can't live without TTS", ......
Our sunray73 is in the other hand, doesn't need all those. :D

There is a preference setting such that music can still play while the voice is used. Look under Voices (I think) or maybe Multimedia?? (don't have my unit here).

But clearly, you CAN listen to music while driving.

Thanks, tried but wasn't under Voices, it only allows to disable 'early warnings' which it still gives anyway. I don't have a Multimedia icon on here (TomTom910). but looked just about everywhere...

sunray73 is surely one of the last man on earth who could care less about voice guidance :)
Most of people whining ... such.. "why this gps doesn't have TTS, it just has voice guidance only, it's suck" or "I can't live without TTS", ......
Our sunray73 is in the other hand, doesn't need all those. :D

Yeah I'd rather being rock'n out to some Jack Johnson or Hendrix then being told where to go every 5 minutes... it's like having a back seat driver with an itchy trigger finger on the mute button "Hey! turn left here you big dummy.. ok now back to your music..." meanwhile ruining that favorite part of the song you've just been waiting for. I'd rather look at the tomtom every now and then to see where to turn then messing with my tunes.. :cool:

Last edited:

First, I'd like to acknowledge your joke. I'll chime in (much like the voice directions do while you're trying to enjoy your music ;)

You're not going to believe this until you try it, but the answer is going into Preferences and selecting 'Turn off sound'

I, like you (I assume), selected the 910 b/c of the MP3 player and 20GB HDD. Then after the newness wore off I was SO FRUSTRATED when the voice directions would interrupt my music. I thought I'd tried everything, and selecting 'Turn off sound' made no sense b/c "obviously" if the sound is turned off then the music won't play. Well, that is NOT THE CASE. With "the sound turned off" the music still plays and the blue tooth phone capability still works. The only sound that is turned off is the voice directions. Imagine that!

First, I'd like to acknowledge your joke. I'll chime in (much like the voice directions do while you're trying to enjoy your music ;)

You're not going to believe this until you try it, but the answer is going into Preferences and selecting 'Turn off sound'

I, like you (I assume), selected the 910 b/c of the MP3 player and 20GB HDD. Then after the newness wore off I was SO FRUSTRATED when the voice directions would interrupt my music. I thought I'd tried everything, and selecting 'Turn off sound' made no sense b/c "obviously" if the sound is turned off then the music won't play. Well, that is NOT THE CASE. With "the sound turned off" the music still plays and the blue tooth phone capability still works. The only sound that is turned off is the voice directions. Imagine that!

Unfortunately that didn't work

I assume that you played music via FM Transmitter, which uses the car's speakers, not gps' speaker.

Yeah I think this might work for FM Transmitters...

Any other suggestions???

Unfortunately that didn't work

Yeah I think this might work for FM Transmitters...

Any other suggestions???

FYI/FWIW, in my car I use line-out to listen to music through car's speakers. But right now, w/ 910 out of car having both 'play instructions' and 'play music' set to 'internal speaker' the music will play "w/ the sound turned off".

It works on my unit. Can anyone else confirm that it works (or doesn't) on theirs?

Ask a Question