Disabling TomTom HOME Auto-updating

Hi

We have installed the TomTom HOME software on some of our corporate PC's as we have users out in the field using TomTom 730's and 750's.

We have a locked down desktop environement which basically means that the users cannot install their own applications and have very limited rights to change settings etc. Any updates or software required is installed on all PCs from a central location when required.

The problem we have is that the TomTom HOME software does not give you the option of disabling the HOME auto-updating function. Updating the TomTom GPS units works great and we of course want to retain that. We need to disable the HOME updating function as the users do not have sufficient privilege to be able to install these updates on their PCs and it all goes very bad when they try and in fact the update function doesn't even give you the option of saying no.

Does anyone have any idea where this function can be disabled? I have searched the registry but cannot see anything obvious. I have also edited a few of the Java config files with no success there either.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

My apologies - I wrote an entire section of text about shutting down any auto-updating the device VIA HOME, and realized after the fact that it's updates of HOME itself that you're trying to limit.

I don't know of a way to shut off Home's auto-update attempts. Like many other applications, it checks for newer versions when it runs.

Last edited:
FWIW, if your users shouldn't be using Home at all, the following (would have) applied!

Two choices, but as an admin, you may prefer this one - users cannot get around it since you say they don't have the admin privs necessary to deal with it. (see what follows #1.

You neglected to mention what OS you are running. I'll just guess XP, but as an IT guy, I'm sure you understand the minor differences for more recent versions.

start
run msconfig
select Startup tab
scroll down to TomTomHOMERunner
OK
restart (or not, your choice)
That turns off the handler and removes the icon from the systray.

Connect a TomTom to cause Home to fire up on the client
"Yes" - connect to the computer
when Home appears ...
"Tools" / "Home Preferences" / "General"
in "Startup preferences"
deselect "Start TomTom HOME automatically when I connect my device to my computer"

Thanks very much for the reply.

The user's do have and require access to HOME to allow them to update their TomToms as well as download and upload maps etc and this works very well as it should. It is just the HOME software that we want to stop from spontaneously trying to update.

You are quite correct that many other applications update automatically but they also have a method of switching that functionality off or refusing the update. The HOME software is particularly bad in that it will download the update automatically to the user's profile without warning. We have profile limits so this causes issues for a start. Then it tells you that there is an update available and you get no option to cancel, it just automatically starts the install and shuts HOME down so it cannot be used at all.

Wish I could give you better news. The place where it OUGHT to be configured is in C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul\defaults\preferences\tthome-prefs.js. Unfortunately, I believe the only configurable "update" items there are to shut off autocheck/update of the unit itself, or extensions to Home.

There are some nifty config options in there, though.

Yes that's where I thought it should have been as well. I had already edited that file to stop the auto update of the device. That's more of a preference thing so the users can choose when they'd like to do it manually. I tried turning some random items off anyway just to see if I could get lucky but to no avail.

I'd recommend installing an old version of HOME from an old image, and packet sniff its auto-update.

Perhaps there's an update server URL you can block at the firewall.

I sniffed HOME a while back and it "phones home" at every mouseclick, so you'd have to isolate normal behavior traffic from HOME update traffic.

When I look at business sat nav solutions I'd have to go for an alternative provider (Navman etc) nowadays. TomTom has become too unreliable on server connection/ Live services availability and their customer support is absolutely appalling - slow to respond to e-mail and if they ask you a question by e-mail and you don't reply within 3 days they delete your entire support question!! Can they be serious? what if your away for a few days on business or your changing PC or moving?!?

Ask a Question