Does disabling Auto-Zoom also disable the Auto-Zoom at turns?

On some models, I have learned you can disable the Auto-Zoom feature.

I wonder, though, if you disable the auto-zoom, will it no longer zoom in at turns?

If so, that would be unfortunate, since zooming it at turns is very, very useful.

What I want to get rid of is the annoying behavior where, after zooming out, it automatically zooms in to the level IT decides you should be at (which is WAY too far in for freeway use).

It might be a solution, potentially, to get a model which allows disabling of auto-zoom, but not if that also disables the auto-zoom at turns.

I presume it wouldn't disable zooming at turns but it's worth asking.

I presume it wouldn't disable zooming at turns but it's worth asking.
Of course it won't zoom back in at junctions because you turned the feature off in the options, you can only have the option to turn it on or off, even the 950 device isn't psychic - Mike

Of course it won't zoom back in at junctions because you turned the feature off in the options, you can only have the option to turn it on or off, even the 950 device isn't psychic - Mike
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear about what I want to turn off.

First of all, what I like:

I like it to zoom in AT TURNS. When you need to make a turn, I want it to zoom in to show me the turn.

But, what I hate:

I hate that when I am driving along, NOT at turns, and I zoom out, it zooms right back in again about 15 or 30 seconds later. In other words, I can't choose the zoom level I want to KEEP the zoom at, when not making turns.

So, I want it to zoom it at turns but I don't want to zoom in while I've driving along the freeway and not making turns.

I hope this is clear. Sadly, these BOTH are what I would call "auto-zoom". If there's a difference in terms for these two behaviors, let me know

Note:

The Hertz GPS units, I was told (but have yet to verify) they are Magellan units, did EXACTLY what I wanted! As I was driving along, I could put the zoom level wherever I set it. But as I made a turn, it zoomed in so I could see the turn, then zoom out to the level I set.

What I hated about the TomTom was that as I drive along, it zooms way in, to what IT thinks I should have.

So, are you telling me there's no way I can get ANY TomTom to behave in a desirable manner?

I am not alone in the way I feel. Look at other threads and on review sites. The TomTom zooming in while NOT at turns is a loathed feature.

Maybe someone can shed some light?

Last edited:
No, you cannot permanently change the default zoom levels. It is what it is. You can temporarily zoom out or in as you've discovered, or turn it off altogether on some models. FWIW, I do tend to agree with you that the default zoom doesn't show enough of the route ahead for my tastes either. But every device has something you won't like. If you just can't stand the zoom level on your TomTom, try a Garmin. It does show much more of your upcoming route by default. But anticipate there will be something about those you probably won't care for either.

On some models, I have learned you can disable the Auto-Zoom feature.
I wonder, though, if you disable the auto-zoom, will it no longer zoom in at turns?

If so, that would be unfortunate, since zooming it at turns is very, very useful.

--> I have auto-zoom turned off on my Go630. I don't think it zooms in on turns any more.

Ask a Question