Direct Connect to Car Charger

Hello;

I have a Tomtom one that used to work perfectly fine until the mini-usb charging port of it broke last week.
It appears that the board is multi layer and it doesn't fix just by attaching the port again. Now I am thinking to connect the GPS directly to the car or somehow, coonect the battery directly to the charger. Is it something possible?

Thank you,

If you can find a car charger capable of supplying 3,7V DC then you can wire that directly in lue of the battery, not ideal but easier than trying to replace the mini USB socket - Mike

If you can find a car charger capable of supplying 3,7V DC then you can wire that directly in lue of the battery, not ideal but easier than trying to replace the mini USB socket - Mike

Thanks. 2 questions:
1. Is there any off the shelf charger supplying 3.7 DC?
2. If I found some, where should I put the wire? I tried to find the PCB map, but I was not able to.

Thanks

MN

You say you have the car charger. It produces the correct voltage for the Tom Tom. Why do you want to buy another charger. If I understand correctly, it is the recepticle that is broken. Buying another charger does not seem to be the answer. Look up the wiring diagram for the mini-usb. The + voltage (usually 5v.) and -ground wires could be hard wired (soldered) to the Tom Tom by using the mini-usb diagram as a reference. This may be an ambitious undertaking Good Luck

You say you have the car charger. It produces the correct voltage for the Tom Tom. Why do you want to buy another charger.

No, you misunderstand....
The suggestion is to remove the battery and wire the NEW charger directly across where the battery was.
The battery is 3.6 Volt not 5 Volt so the original charger would not be suitable.

The difficulty of connecting the original charger at the USB socket position is that the pcb is multilayer at that point.

Ask a Question