Device locked up...

TomTom Model(s)
Routes XL 340
Hi fellas... reached the end of my tether with this thing - Routes IQ340 purchased 14 months ago in Australia and being used now in Europe. It has now frozen completely on the welcome screen after losing all satellite contact on a calm, clear day here in Jersey. Home won't open with the device plugged in, and doesn't recognize that there is even anything plugged in at all!!! It's been a bit squirrelly for a while now and the help from Tomtom is - to me! - unintelligible; I have very few computer skills, so my question is, "Where the hell do I send this thing to be fixed??" Or do I just bin it and get a Garmin like my wife has which works flawlessly...

Thanks gang; any help would be appreciated..

John

First thing to try is to reset the device, look on the base of the unit for a small hole, if you find one use a pin/ paperclip etc to prod the the reset switch. If you have no reset hole then reset it by pressing and holding the power on/off button (typically around 20 seconds) when you hear the drum beat release the switch and see if it fires up, if it doesn't start up try connecting it to the PC as Home should be able to see it - Don't worry about hitting the reset it won't clear or delete anything - Mike

Last edited:
Yep; tried all of that; drumbeat sounds, release and it sits on the start up stuff and goes nowhere else. Home doesn't see it at all which is why I'm looking for a service agent, or at worst - which I suspect may the case - replacement!

John

Try connecting to a different usb port, preferably on the back of the unit. And, are you using the same cable that originally came with the unit?

Well. it did something... it came up as a drive on the desktop, but the Home only fired up a little bit; it has to be forcequit!! Where do I send this thing to be fixed?

Don't bother with Home for the time being, connect it to the PC and use Windows Explorer, double click the drive letter associated with the drive letter assigned to the device, can you see files and folders?
If so I want the first two letters of the serial number of the device (it will be on a label on the base of the device, this is needed to make sure we identify the device correctly) and can then provide the correct software for it - Mike

I'm on a mac, but the device shows up on the desktop and when I double click the icon, I can see all sorts of files and folders.

The s/n is RU2010100722....

Yep.... is that one you've highlighted different?

No... it's just that with things like computers and software and forums, everyone has to be VERY specific so as not to get confused.
There;s no such model as a "Routes IQ340" - we may THINK we know what you mean, but it's a lot quicker and safer in the long run to make absolutely sure before we go any further..

Mike A. seems to have the bit between his teeth, so I'll let him guide you through the next bit.....

OK, while Mike's being a bit quiet, shall we see if I can make a start?

I think the latest software for your model is v9.061 so if we cannot get Home to run we could find a direct download link for that software.

But before you do that, I think it's worth trying to get Home working. Have you uninstalled it completely and reinstalled? Are you using the latest version for Mac from
HERE?

Next, try the steps for getting Home working and getting it to recognise your device suggested HERE.

You blokes are the best... I had thrown my hands in the air and walked away from the idiot thing so my better half slipped quietly in and sorted it out. Apparently, becasue we had bought it in Oz and set it up with a netbook running Windows, it had been storing up problems once we got here and obtained another mac, which is running 10.6. There is a programme called Spotlight on a mac which was saving data from the device on the mac but Home was not recognising the data path. However, Lucy sat down with it and started from scratch with no pre-conceived notions - she is a Garmin owner - and an hour later we're back in business!! Yay, because as much as her Garmin is good, I still find the TT easier to use and much clearer in it's instructions, so all in all a win!! Thanks fellas; I get the feeling I'll be back here at some stage, though....

Nice to hear it all got sorted... congratulate your wife on our behalf! :thumb:

And we'll be here if you need us again. :)

Ha!! I thought it was too good to be true; it has gone tits-up again with exactly the same type of fault... I'll turn my good lady loose on it again tonight after work but I suspect there's something fundamentally wrong with the rotten thing, eh...

Ask a Question