Dead Go720

Help.

Was in Italy a few weeks ago and in the middle of my holiday, my 720 died. I have tried to restore it dozens of times with no success. It comes up with a yellow background, picture of the 720 and a red cross across the top of the 720.

I have contacted Tomtom but they were of absolutely no help.

Please any ideas? I have no back ups

Can you connect the unit to a computer and get it recognized by the computer? If so, use Explorer and look to see if there is an appropriate map folder (with files in it) in the root of the unit.

If so:
1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
3. connect to Home and install the application that will be offered.
4. Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Any better?

Can you connect the unit to a computer and get it recognized by the computer? If so, use Explorer and look to see if there is an appropriate map folder (with files in it) in the root of the unit.

If so:
1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
3. connect to Home and install the application that will be offered.
4. Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Any better?

Thanks for quick reply.

It is connected to the computer right now. IThe compyuter wants to format the drive.

ok so in very simple terms, what do i need to do. It is not being recognised at all.
When you go to My comuter.....Removable devices.....it sees it there but when u double click it says put disc in Removable Disk E.

Ugggg

for the formatting, the options I have with my windows 7 are NTFS, FAT and exFAT. There is no FAT32.

The tomtom website suggests reformatting with FAT32.

Do u think I should reformat and if so should I use the FAt and if I need the FAT32 then how do I get it?

ok it just got worse....windows cant format the device.

any clues? I presume the drive is dead? If so can it be replaced?

Have you ever updated the map on your device or made a back up? if so the easy option is to purchase a 4GB SDHC memory card and put everything on the SD card which we can guide you through how to perform this, if you have no map purchase or back up the process will sadly invole the purchase of a new map or a begging letter to TT CS that has a less than 10% chance of working IMHO - Mike

Ask a Question