Custom POIs = Jerky Map Navigation?

Internetpilot

TomTom Model(s)
GO700 (Updated)
Has anyone else notice their TomTom route tracking display getting jerky after adding custom POI's? I have a GO700, so it may have something to do with the hard drive and something inherent to the GO700 (and maybe the GO910?).

I've only run the simplest of tests to see if the POI's are the problem -- I noticed the jerky map tracking the day after I added 24 POI's (all downloaded from here of course! ;)), so I removed them and now the map tracking is much smoother (like animation in stead of claymation). I haven't done a Law of Diminishing Returns test to determine if there's a certain number of POI's that I can add without things getting jerky again.

So...is this happening to anyone with a hard drive based GO? It would be interesting to know if this was occurring with SD card based GO's, too.

My custom POIs are to their maximum, and I have to agree that there is that jerky movement. I have not had the chance of experimenting whether or not the amount of POIs are responsible for this.

I`ve owned the 300/500/700 all with v5 app. and the frame rate is as smooth as can be.
My friend used v6 on his 500 and since the upgrade to v6, the frame rate seems a little slower than before. This seems to be the case on the 910.

I cant recall what it was like before I added all the POIs on mine, I am now use to the way it is, I wouldnt call mine jerky but just a bit slow at times, so far I still havent missed a turn yet so I guess I am ok with my 510.

No, it's jerkyness is the lack of a graphics processor, the processor just has do a lot of calculation with the Linux OS just to convert it, whether it be from SD or HD, they are fast enough.

Since we are going to 3D it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a graphics processor that takes full load for graphics.

I have had this since the days of the Classic, the more POI's you have active on the map, the slower it goes ;)

I guess that would make sense. I mean, it's not really the SD card or hard drive space that's the problem -- it's the processing RAM. My GO700 only has 64mb of that, and with no graphics processor -- that's pretty taxing. Although, one might wonder why my GO700 has no problems playing DivX movies on it, but has problems with a few extra store and restaurant icons, so it must have something to do with the access time required to get the nearby POI data form the storage memory and put it on the screen.

I just removed all my POIs (except for the personal ones I've added via the TomTom interface) because that jerky tracking is a pet peeve of mine. That was one of the reasons I switched over from Mapopolis for the PDA to TomTom for the PDA, because Mapopolis was very jerky all the time. I've been spoiled by the smooth framerate, and even more so now with the GO700.

I have noticed that my GO700 menu system has slowed down noticeably after updating to v6. There seems to be more lag (likely from the hard drive) with the new version. However, that's tolerable as long as I don't get that jerky tracking! Hate that! :(

Well, I finally got some time to try some things, and there is definitely a law of dimishing returns, but it's difficult to predict. For example, I can load 4 POIs files before my GO700 starts tracking jerky, but if I pick different POIs (probably ones with less locations), I can get as many as 15 installed before things start getting jerky.

I then tried installing all of them, but only enabling certain ones under the options menu. What I found out was that you can have as many POI's installed as you want (up to TomTom's limit -- I forget what that is) and it will not cause the jerky display unless you have a lot of them enabled for display under options. So, you get the benefit of a better, more updated POI database when searching for a certain POIs, but you might not want to have the little icons displayed all the time unless you can tolerate the jerky tracking display.

So, I'm happy again. Don't you all feel better now...that I'm happy? No? ;)

My custom POIs are to their maximum, and I have to agree that there is that jerky movement. I have not had the chance of experimenting whether or not the amount of POIs are responsible for this.

I`ve owned the 300/500/700 all with v5 app. and the frame rate is as smooth as can be.
My friend used v6 on his 500 and since the upgrade to v6, the frame rate seems a little slower than before. This seems to be the case on the 910.
The problem may be that your SD Card is too full! try copying all to a bigger SD card I use a 2Gb card I think you need 1 1/2 to 2 kb free space to work well. Also a Voices if you have too many use alot of space get rid of some.
George

Last edited:

Ask a Question