Currency, Maps, and SD card Questions

Hey. I'm new to the forums here, but I was hoping that you guys wouldn't mind helping me out with a few questions I have. I just received a TomTom One V.3 for Christmas, but I'm having a couple of problems with it, which could easily be user error.

First off, I noticed that in the TomTom home, all the prices aren't set in dollars, which is a little difficult for me to know precisely how much additional items costs since it's not in my currency. I'm thinking this is a setting that I'm simply missing, but if I could get some help on that, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Also, like any natural human being, after I got it, I hopped in the car and tried it out immediately. I programmed in the movie theatre that's nearby and then followed it's instructions, however...it led me to a spot along the way, but probably about three miles short of where it should have been. So I figured maybe it just wasn't updated, so I plugged in an address I knew and the same thing happened; it said the destination ended in a spot that was definitely not the address. Do I need to download a regional map so it's more correct or something? I've already plugged it into my computer and I think I've done all the updates.

Okay, the final question is regarding SD cards. I've heard a lot of talk on here about the SD cards needed for extra space, which makes sense if I do have to actually purchase that regional map or something. However, there's no spot in my device to put a memory chip in. At least, not one that I'm seeing. Again, I have the One V.3.

If anyone can help me, that'd be great. It just seems to me that I'm having way more difficulties with all of this than I should be. But like I said before, perhaps most of these difficulties are user error. :p

Currency conversion, navigation error, storage capacity...

Prices on Home -

I'm not sure how to force Home to show prices in anything but euros. It may be possible, but I typically take the path of least resistance and deploy a "euro to dollar" converter...such as this one: http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=39&from=EUR&to=USD&submit=Convert

Navigation error -

Assuming you have the version 7 operating system on your TomTom, you can check to see if you can pinpoint your current location by clicking on the "Help me" icon, then clicking "Where am I?" If it is off significantly, you can click "Set Location" and then identify where you know you are at. If that calibration isn't sticky, you may have a defective unit, and it may be time to call TomTom tech support.

Version 3 storage -

Your unit does not support any add-on storage/memory options. The internal storage is all you have to work with on your TomTom model.

Last edited:
To correct the $$$$ issue on home, go to Preferences and made sure the language is English US and not English UK.

Your map accuracy doesn't sound right. While very often POIs are poorly placed (a constant complaint), most street addresses should be very close.

Program in the navigation to some other addresses you know. After the route has been calculated, press 'Details', then 'Browse map of route'. Place the cursor directly on the destination (the checkered flag). Then press the blue cursor symbol on the bottom row. Select 'Center on map'.

You will now be zoomed in close on your destination's location and you can easily tell if it is correct. If this is a consistant problem, your unit is defective.

Ask a Question