Could the new UI in the GO740 be rolled out to our GO's?

TomTom Model(s)
GO LIVE 1535M and XXL-540TM
Is that why they are not sending out an update to 8.3?

I like the look of it... any chances it could happen... from people with previous knowledge of TomTom's ways?

Is that why they are not sending out an update to 8.3?

I like the look of it... any chances it could happen... from people with previous knowledge of TomTom's ways?
I do not believe that the x20 or x30 series has the horsepower for the way they manage the video on the x40 units.

The 740 uses a 400MHz cpu as does the 920. I don't think that 'horsepower' would be a problem.

The 740 uses a 400MHz cpu as does the 920. I don't think that 'horsepower' would be a problem.
I do, at least in theory.

I'd say that the x20/x30 family is already on the hairy edge as it is with the current hardware and firmware (notwithstanding the task/interrupt/whatever issues with 8.3). It's pretty easy to demonstrate this -- just enable some serious POI category counts and even the 7.441 equipped units that otherwise work well can get badly bogged down on screen updates due to lack of 'horsepower'.

They must be using the 740 processor a heck of a lot more efficiently to do that fancy video business. It appears that there would be quite a bit more math involved. Or perhaps they've augmented the processor with a separate video processor? That'd answer a lot of questions -- and put the kabosh on the idea of releasing that firmware for prior models, too.

Your message has been removed. Not only is it making reference to a warez site for files (which is not appropriate for a legitimate forum such as this), but the information is wrong. A 720 can do now what the message said it could do with the downloading of the files. Further, a 740 does NOT have mp3 playing capabilities. People are upset enough with the loss of fm transmission with firmware 8.3 without the reference to files that may wipe out mp3 capabilities.

Please refrain from posting reference to such sites in the future and thanks for your understanding.

by UI, do you mean the new GUI of the menus? i was able to (unofficially) convert my go 720 to the new 740 interface...the voice commands work very well. and also, i still have an mp3 player...

not sure if that answers the OP's question or not...

Last edited:
Tomtom has a history of rolling out its latest software to models sold about 2 years back, eventually.

They usually wait 3-6 months from the initial release. I don't know if it's a marketing strategy, or if it takes their developers that long to roll out the whole product line.

For example, navcore 7 rolled out to all models except the x00 line, navcore8 rolled out (in some form) to all models except the x10 and some ONEs.

Our currentworld of multiple model-specific versions of navcore reminds me of a few years back when tomtom was in the middle of the navcore 7 rollout. Back then the different navcores seemed to come out every few weeks fixing bugs. Eventually, all products were updated to a single Navcore.

My guess is that the same thing will happen with navcore 8, probably by end of spring. However, I assume any devices that were offered navcore 7.9 are at a development dead-end.

Currently running this setup:
App 8.204 OS: 244890
64 MB RAM
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5106 (This can brick your unit, do at your own risk)
Map: North America 2GB v815.2019

This is claimed to be the 740/940 GUI

This thing is killer. You talk to it and give it commands. Also while on the interstate if you are in a 6 lane and you are supposed to take an off ramp it will bring up a "live view" shot of the lanes and show you where you should exit. Only difference claimed is the lack of GPRS. I have reformatted it several times switching between different Apps and maps and I like this one the best.

Ask a Question