Confused about maps

I see that there is a "USA & Canada" map and also regional maps.

Does the "big" map have the same level of detail as the regional maps?

Also, does mapshare exist for the TT ONE 2nd edition?

Thanks.

well, I only have experience with the 675 version maps and the larger north american map has much more detail than the usa/canada version which has been downsized to fit the 1g limit in some units.

contrary to what I've seen posted here it's not just the POI's that have been eliminated. in my home area, a LOT less map detail in the usa/canada version. stands to reason when file size is dropped from 1.5 gig to about 900 megs, a big trimming had to be made.

There are whole 25 year old subdivisions locally not on the smaller version as well as many missing roads and streets, mine included. also, in the larger maps, rivers and lakes are shown with shorelines that are pretty accurate where the smaller maps show representative triangular splotches.

none I've seen are perfect. My sister's whole subdivision for instance is shown on both versions about a full kilometer down the road. my son's home in philadelphia is half a kilometer off. numerous POI's on a trip to visit him last month were not where they should be....darn, I'm ranting again...

I suspect the same will be evident in the new 710 maps.

Last edited:
well, I only have experience with the 675 version maps and the larger north american map has much more detail than the usa/canada version which has been downsized to fit the 1g limit in some units.
I didn't see a North American map -- just USA/Canada and the regionals. I take it that that NA map covers US, Canada and Mexico?

north american 675 much larger file size (1.5g) and more detail...needs 2g card

usa/canada 675 just over 900 megs, less detail, fits internal 1g memory or 1g card

version 710 maps I have not seen. Usa/canada 710 appears to be about the same file size as 675 so I'd not expect a lot more detail over 675.

however, with the US regionals, the breakdown should allow a lot more detail for each region...at least I hope that would be true.

I can report that the v710 NA map is 1915.6 MB in size. I hope it has lots and lots of detail, but I understand that thi is a TeleAtlas map where the v6 maps were NavTeq so maybe there isn't a direct corelation between the size of the two.

perhaps, but I'd expect the new maps to use the same file structure, so no matter the map origin, detail would be the only thing that could swell file size. At an additional 400 megs, there should be quite a bit more detail. perhaps the teleAtlas change has done this.

the big question is whether that detail is accurate.....

Last edited:
perhaps, but I'd expect the new maps to use the same file structure, so no matter the map origin, detail would be the only thing that could swell file size. At an additional 400 megs, there should be quite a bit more detail. perhaps the teleAtlas change has done this.
Let me rephrase my question.

Almost all of my travel is in the Northeast (US) corridor. If I buy the corresponding regional map, am I getting a piece of the file "USA/Canada"? That is, will the detail for the Northeast Corridor be the same for both the regional and the national maps?

Thanks.

One last question: can I install the new map by connecting the TT to my computer (where it appears as J:) and simply copy the map file to the appropriate folder?

When you compare the US & Canada map to the North America one, the size of the cline.dat file 498 mb and 729 mb respectively. This is where the 'meat' of the mapping is located, so there is obviously more detail in the North America map. But is it mostly stuff like bodies of water, or is it actual roads?

If you look at the regional maps listed on the Home program, the sum of all the parts adds up to 1629 mb. This would suggest that the regional maps are cut out of the larger North America map.

Note also that the price of a regional map is just slightly under that of the whole one, so it's not a very good deal, financially.

I think that these regional maps are really aimed at Europeans who are going to America on holiday, and don't need to buy the whole continent. I'm not convinced that you will find it is good value for money.

If you look at the regional maps listed on the Home program, the sum of all the parts adds up to 1629 mb. This would suggest that the regional maps are cut out of the larger North America map.

Note also that the price of a regional map is just slightly under that of the whole one, so it's not a very good deal, financially.

But I'd have to buy a 2GB SD card!

Ask a Question