Okay, I'm confused on Version of Maps

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720 App:8.302 Map:N/A 815.2019
Newbie here...

I have a brand new GO 720. I've done all the TT Home updates and it tells me I have the latest maps. Also that my map sharing is on and updated. I check my device and see that I have map version 7.10. Yet I see here people talking about map version 8xx? What's up with that? (I have OS 8.300)

I go to "Add Maps" in TT Home and I am offered a choice to purchase NorthAmerical_2GB but TT Home shows I already have NorthAmerica2GB on my device? (note the underscore difference). Huh?

So... do I have the latest maps for my device not?

Thanks,

-Frank

Last edited:
Newbie here...

I have a brand new GO 720. I've done all the TT Home updates and it tells me I have the latest maps. Also that my map sharing is on and updated. I check my device and see that I have map version 7.10. Yet I see here people talking about map version 8xx? What's up with that? (I have OS 8.300)

I go to "Add Maps" in TT Home and I am offered a choice to purchase NorthAmerical_2GB but TT Home shows I already have NorthAmerica2GB on my device? (note the underscore difference). Huh?

So... do I have the latest maps for my device not?

Thanks,

-Frank

When you go to "add maps" and see the 2GB map, click on "more info" and you'll see that it's map version 815. You don't currently have the latest version. You will need to contact TomTom to get the latest map guarantee. They will ask you to scan a copy of your receipt and send it to them. Once that's done, they will add the newest map to your account for download. It will show up automatically when you hit "update my GO"

When you go to "add maps" and see the 2GB map, click on "more info" and you'll see that it's map version 815. You don't currently have the latest version. You will need to contact TomTom to get the latest map guarantee. They will ask you to scan a copy of your receipt and send it to them. Once that's done, they will add the newest map to your account for download. It will show up automatically when you hit "update my GO"
Thank you. I will contact them. Seems Like there'd be a better way to get new maps on a newly purchased device.

-Frank

Actually, I didn't have to call TomTom. The Home software has a menu item, 'Use Latest Map Guarantee', which allowed me to download the latest version of my map easily (although it took about 2.5 hours).

Mark

Actually, I didn't have to call TomTom. The Home software has a menu item, 'Use Latest Map Guarantee', which allowed me to download the latest version of my map easily (although it took about 2.5 hours).

Mark
I did use the menu option called "Use Latest Map Guarantee" and it did not work for me. It still told me I was up to date with version 710 maps.

I called TomTom today and they were very nice. I explained that I just got it for Christmas, purchase date 12/22/08 and that I wanted the latest version 815 maps. The rep said that usually I'd need to fax/email in proof of purchase, but since I had created my TT Home account on Christmas day he would just authorize my new map download right way without proof of purchase. Nice guy!

Anyway, I updated tonight and got my new maps - free. All worked out well.

-Frank

Mark

Sadly the LMG option in the Home software doesn't always work. You have to call most of the time :(

I did use the menu option called "Use Latest Map Guarantee" and it did not work for me. It still told me I was up to date with version 710 maps.

I called TomTom today and they were very nice. I explained that I just got it for Christmas, purchase date 12/22/08 and that I wanted the latest version 815 maps. The rep said that usually I'd need to fax/email in proof of purchase, but since I had created my TT Home account on Christmas day he would just authorize my new map download right way without proof of purchase. Nice guy!

Anyway, I updated tonight and got my new maps - free. All worked out well.

-Frank

Wow! They did that without proof? They sure were in the Holiday spirit! :p
Glad it worked out for you. Now you must make a complete backup of your unit using Windows Explorer (making sure all system and hidden files are visible)

Wow! They did that without proof? They sure were in the Holiday spirit! :p
Glad it worked out for you. Now you must make a complete backup of your unit using Windows Explorer (making sure all system and hidden files are visible)
Yeah, they told me they were doing this 'cuz of the Christmas flood of requests. And it was so obvious that I had created my account on Christmas day. Probably a lot easier for them too.

And, yep! The first thing I did after updating the maps was to make an explorer backup. Great info in this forum!

-Frank

Ask a Question