Complete Factory Reset

Hi there,

I have been fiddling quite a bit with my TomTom Go 630 with regards to third-party apps etc, and although I have been able to quite easily reverse all the changes I made, I would still like to reset the device back to how it was when I bought it. That is to say, I'd like to COMPLETELY reformat the unit and start over.

The "Reset Factory Defaults" menu option seems to only delete any personal files such as POIs and waypoints, which is only half of what I really want done. eg. if I make a new folder on the device called "blah" and reset defaults, the folder remains...

Is there some way that I can completely reinitialise the device?

The prime thing is to save the map folder (using Explorer) to the computer. The map, once lost, can only be replaced by buying a replacement. So, back it up.

Now, use Explorer to format the unit. Make it fat32.

Copy back the map folder. Connect to Home and you should be offered the latest application. Download and install.

Now, use Home to pick and choose computer voices and recorded voices you want to download and install. (I'd suggest at least a 4-gig sdhc card for flexibility)

You can also select (using Home) additional colour schemes for the maps other than the standard ones.

Should be good to go. Make a complete Explorer backup of your unit's contents.

Ask a Question