choose restore files

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
i am operating a tomtom ONE XL, and tomtom home installed on a mac

i have two sd?s, one with us, the other with european maps; when i back up, tomtom creates its backup files (i can?t tell if it distinguishes between the two version maps)

1? how do i choose which back up file i wish to restore (i keep separate back up files), or does tomtom determine from the sd card which map it is dealing with?

2? how do i get tomtom home to recognize older/other back ups i have taken over time, some of which, particularly maps, i wish to restore?

Welcome to TTF.

Home is pretty much useless when it comes to the Backup/Restore option. That's why we ALWAYS recommend using Explorer on a pc or Finder on a Mac for backups and restores. That way YOU control the naming of the folder that the backup gets stored in rather than Home simply ovewrwriting its existing folder with a different backup.

So, with the first sd in the unit (US maps), copy (using Finder) the contents of the sd card to your Mac. Then with the European sd in the unit, use Finder to backup that sd card's contents to a DIFFERENT folder on the Mac. Finally, copy the contents of the unit itself to a THIRD folder on the unit.

With any major update (map for sure and maybe an application) make a NEW [Finder] backup to the computer, not overwriting the existing folder (which Home would have done.......:( )

That way, YOU control where things go........

Sounds like a lot of work, and while not as transparent as a Home backup, trust me, it is MUCH more reliable and safe than ever using Home.

thanks for your reply

i am confused; how do i distinguish between sd card content on my device in the finder window, and what you call ? the contents of the unit itself??

When you put the card in the unit and connect to the Mac, does it not show 2 drives? One represents the unit and the other represents the external drive.......

If all you have on one card is a map, then you should just be seeing a map folder on one drive, the other drive being the unit's internal contents.

my tomtom device shows in the finder as just one external drive

now, it is possible that all the information is stored on the sd card, but then i don?t know how i could separate the map from the remaining software, though it would be highly desirable

if you can help me to separate the two, i?d greatly appreciate it

If you have a map of North America, it'll be in either a North_America folder or perhaps USA_and_Canada folder on your unit, something like that.

Your European map contents reside in a folder that may say Western_Europe or something similar.

These maps, by the way..they were obtained from TomTom using Home, is that correct.

correct, i donwloaded them through tomtom home

but, there are also two other files, USA_and_Canada-0D92426D.mac and USA_and_Canada-0D92426D.mds, that seem connected to the map

You are looking for the follder of that name. It won't have an extension to it.USA_and Canada). THAT is the map folder.

i?m sorry, i wasn?t clear: i meant, in addition to the folder you pointed out, which contains the map, are the other two necessary as well, or does it suffice to safeguard the folder containing the map?

to restore the usa map, can i just drag and drop (mac finder mode, not tomtom restore program) it from my backup folder onto the tomtom device?

so far it hasn?t worked, but perhaps my file is corrupt

It should. What doesn't work? Make sure there is a file in the map folder with an extension of .dct
So, the file should look something like this: usa_and_canada.meta.dct.

thanks very much for your patience

ok, only the european map folder has three files in the .meta, .meta.dct, and .pna format

the usa map folder has three files in .mid, .mms, and .pna formats, but is missing the .meta.dct file

That's the problem, then........

Was the US map downloaded from TomTom as an upgrade? If so, it should be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

(think the path is the same on a Mac)

If so, use Stuffit and extract the meta.dct file from the compressed map file and copy it into the USA_Canada FOLDER on the card.

ok, many thanks

i think it would work; however, so far i have only found a map that runs on my tomtom rider (which i succeeded in uploading onto the device, but with which it is not compatible)

so, i will continue to rummage through my archives until ...

many thanks for your great help--philippe

Ask a Question