Why did you choose TomTom over the others?

TomTom Model(s)
XL350TM
Just interested to know how you ended up w/ a TT? How about a brief intro of yourself and your present TT model, in addition to other model(s) you've considered before deciding upon the TT?

I'll start:
I'm a GPS newbie and the XL350TM is my first nav. I briefly considered the Garmin 1350T LMU as both have lifetime maps/traffic but got a better price for the TT and I liked the idea of Map Share, IQ Routes, more POIs and seemingly better customization.

My future son in law brought a TT with him into my car for a tricky journey through rural lanes. I was so impressed I immediately went out and bought a ONE.

When I got my iPhone a year ago, I considered buying the TT App but it was such a ridiculous price I bought Copilot instead.

It has a very different feel to it, and some features such as route optimisation that TT does not provide. However, its big disadvantage was the algorithm to choose the route sometimes produced weird routings.

I purchased the TT app when its price came down to a more competitive level, the price I paid for both apps being less than TT's original price!

Having two sat nav apps on my phone gives the advantage I can use Copilot when TT falls down, or when I have a delivery round and want route optimisation. I suspect that competition in smartphone satnav apps will be the driving force - as app prices drop so more people will move away from dedicated devices, and the price of those will have to drop to compete.

I've been answering this type of question so many times since the last 2 years, there are so many reasons to pick TT over others.
Quick brief, moving from PDA using iGuidance, Mapopolis, Pocket Navigating, ... to laptop with MapPoint, Delorme, .... to Garmin StreetPilot then Magellan Road (whatever, forgot the name), then Garmin Nuvi then finally TT. I choosed TT in the end, there must be reasons.
1. TeleAtlas has more and precise coverage in my area than NavTeq
2. Routing algorithm is far better (at least in my area, I don't speak for the entire USA)
3. Feature-wises as well as customization.
4. Tweakable :)

Back then, when I bought the TT, Garmin and Magellen re-fresh rate was far behind, they get much better now.
My Dad just got a Garmin low-end 1350, it is very good, very simple and of course, it's very limited and missing a lot of features that I can find on TT.

The yahoo/goodle maps are often wrong. And after years of fustratiion with them, I decided to purchase a GPS. I was comparing the major brands, but based on what the saleman said I picked up a TT.

My first one was a ONE 130, my current one is an XXL 540M.

My reason for going back to TT.

Well, I had been disapointed with TT's maps. On a number of occasions I needed to find a road that wasn't available in TT. so I looked around online and did comparison shopping by myself. I read a ton of reviews and found that many models of Garmin and Magelin were plagued with issues. and just overall, the TT models seemed to have the lowest number of complaints.

In additon, I was familiar with TT already and I found it to be sturdy and realiable. (It took a number of hard falls, but kept on working)

Plus with some, you have to buy all of the necessary cables seperately. I wanted it all in one pacakge ready to go out the box.

and I couldn't pass up "free" maps for life. It will pay for itself in the long run.

Last edited:
I'm a communications contractor, installing computer/telephone cabling and locally handling national equipment rollouts, so I'm frequently going to places I've never been before. My first experience with GPS navigation was 5 years ago, using Telenav on my Nextel handset. I later switched to VIAMOTO (I could get it for free, and liked it better). I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. After a little over a year I decided to go for a standalone unit because phone calls would routinely interrupt navigation. I chose a Garmin StreetPilot c550 with TMC traffic because I recognized the name, thought traffic would be a great thing to have, and I didn't feel like doing a lot of research.

After a short honeymoon, I realized that the simplistic interface was far too limiting, TMC traffic didn't work worth a *%^*, and the guidance it provided (the instructions to keep you on the chosen route) were often poor - too many keep left/right when not needed, and not enough when they were needed. Thus I began my search for something better, particularly with regard to guidance, often switching back to VIAMOTO on my Nextel handset. That's when I discovered the TomTom Go 920.

Guidance on the TomTom seemed obviously superior to the Garmin, the detour function was actually usable, I could avoid roads (for commercial vehicles), and I loved the idea of PLUS traffic over GPRS - no more problems with non-existent FM reception for traffic. The data connection through the phone was easy to setup, and PLUS traffic seemed a lot more accurate and reliable than what Garmin offered. For a month or two I drove with both the Garmin and TomTom on my windshield, feeling better about my decision every day due to the TomTom outperforming the Garmin.

Within a year I dropped my Nextel service and switched to Verizon, who wanted $30/month so I could tether my TomTom to my Blackberry. For a while I kept the Nextel phone using a Boost Mobile SIM card for use only with PLUS traffic. But when the Go 740 LIVE became available, I opted to go with that, as the monthly costs ended up being cheaper.

Despite my frustrations with TomTom, I doubt I would ever go back to a Garmin, since the deal breaker was their guidance, which was working as intended, so there was no hope of it ever changing to my liking.

Ask a Question