Trading in my TomTom for a better one; any advice on which model to choose?

I've been using a TomTom Go 510 since late 2006 and since I do a lot of traveling and many road trips (probably at least 30 a year) it's been an indispensable tool for me on various occasions. However, recently it broke (out of warranty) and a repair would probably cost more than a new device.

So now I'm looking for a replacement and I figured here would be the place to ask which model is the best out there at the moment.
I'm looking for another TomTom brand GPS that:
-will allow me to insert the SD card that came with my TT Go 510 and will be able to import the stored Favorites and such that are saved on there
-will work in both the U.S. and Canada
-will have accurate maps of very rural areas
-will allow you to enter a destination while the vehicle is in motion (I've seen some GPS systems that lock down completely until the car is fully stopped)
-will require the least "paperclip resets"
-will have the best mount so that it doesn't constantly fall off the windshield (this was a big problem with my old one)
-will operate similarly to the TT Go 510 (in that the features would work the same way and be familiar to use)
-will be the most helpful and reliable on long road trips and in unfamiliar places

Given these specifications, which TomTom model would be the best to get? There are so many different models, all with varying features, that it's hard to tell which one would work best given my needs. If anyone here could help me pick out the best model to upgrade to, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Try this site for a product comparison.

This helped out some, although it didn't have the GO 920 or GO 930 listed under the products to compare, which are two of the units I've been most interested in. Also, I can't figure out why there's a $100.00 difference in price between the XL 340S and the XL 335S; the only feature they have listed differently is that the 340S covers Mexico in its maps, but I wouldn't think that alone would be worth an extra hundred dollars.

Here's what I mean...

i2r4g4.jpg

The other thing I can't figure out is what the difference is between the GO 630 and the GO 730; they have the exact same features listed but one is $80.00 more expensive.

2aadimg.jpg

Could someone explain the difference between those models and how the GO 920 and 930 compare to the other GO models? Thanks again for any and all help!

This helped out some, although it didn't have the GO 920 or GO 930 listed under the products to compare, which are two of the units I've been most interested in. Also, I can't figure out why there's a $100.00 difference in price between the XL 340S and the XL 335S; the only feature they have listed differently is that the 340S covers Mexico in its maps, but I wouldn't think that alone would be worth an extra hundred dollars.

Here's what I mean...

i2r4g4.jpg

The other thing I can't figure out is what the difference is between the GO 630 and the GO 730; they have the exact same features listed but one is $80.00 more expensive.

2aadimg.jpg

Could someone explain the difference between those models and how the GO 920 and 930 compare to the other GO models? Thanks again for any and all help!

the two main features of both the 920 and 930 is first they both have 4 gigs of memory which make it easy to store the european maps on a sd card and theirfore giving you much more space for things to download on tomtom home. The one feature that I really like on these models is the Enhanced positioning feature whereby under bridges or in tunnels your unit will give you a good guessdamit of where you are and won't shut off. For all intensive purpuses both 920 and 930 are the same with the updates tom tom had for download
As far as those other models you mentioned, others on this forum will be able to help you better then me. But remember with the 730 model the maps of north america are smaller with a smaller amount of POI's. But their is a way around this. Anyway good luck.

Thanks for the responses! I think I've narrowed it down to the GO 920 and the GO 930.

I've found the GO 920 for $320.00 and the GO 930 for $400.00 (both new/not refurbished); the 920 is apparently "discontinued" and has been replaced by the 930, but the 920 has significantly better reviews than the 930 on Amazon and elsewhere.

For all intensive purpuses both 920 and 930 are the same with the updates tom tom had for download

Could you expand on this please? If the 920 is essentially the same as the 930 once the updates are downloaded then it seems like the 920 would be the clear choice, so I just want to make sure that's the case before getting it.

Again, thanks for any and all help!

If indeed the 920 is new, then it is eligible for the Latest Map guarantee.

Once you update the application, get the newest map.....you effectively DO have a 930.

The only difference between the 2 models are cosmetic: a different colour (all black) bezel on the 930 and the screen colours are a bit different but NO differences where it counts, application or maps.

Go for the 920.

Being slightly nitpicky - the GO 920 has a slightly older TTS dictionary. It pronounces a couple of words (like "13th") a bit worse than the 930 will. Definitely not worth the $80, though. So I'd go with the 920.

Thanks for all the tips, I've decided to get the GO 920. Just received it in the mail today.

Two questions though:

How do I transfer my saved favorites from my old TomTom GO 510 to the new 920?

Also, what exactly do I do/where exactly do I go to get the application and map updates and the like so that it's on par with the 930?

Thanks again!

You get the latest application when you connect to Home, it should offer it. Then, use Home's Tools-->Use LMG (the latest is 840).

See this link about converting your Favourites from the 510 to a custom .ov2 file and then just copy the newly created .ov2 file to the appropriate map folder on your unit.

Also, make an Explorer backup, not Home, PRIOR to any updates and then another one to a different folder AFTER the application and map updates.

Hate to ask this here since it's off topic from the original post at this point, but I plugged my GO 920 into my computer and downloaded the latest maps as recommended and after waiting for hours for the download to finish it finally gave me an error at the end saying "There is not enough free space on your device" and that I had to remove 104MB in order for the map to load on to the TomTom.
I googled the error message and found a couple results, one from the official TT website which says that HOME will offer to create free space, although it has not done this. I then found some results on a few forums and the consensus there seemed to be that you need to go into the folders and remove unnecessary items until enough disk space is freed up for the map to load.
However, I can't find anything in the folders that's over 100MB in size that I could get rid of, and I don't want to go deleting the wrong thing and messing everything up. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Another issue I'm having is that it's not letting me make a backup...in the HOME main menu the "Back up and restore" option is greyed out and says "You cannot use this feature because it is not supported by your device."

Also, when I select "Add traffic, voices, safety cameras etc" from the main menu, every option is greyed out with the same "You cannot use this feature because it is not supported by your device" message...and I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that these things ARE supported by the GO 920 device.

Again, any and all help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden folders/files are showing.

Then reformat your unit's internal drive. Don't use quickformat. Finally restore your backup, again using Explorer.

I'm surprised you are encountering space issues on a 920; it comes with 4 gigs of internal storage plus you have the capacity to use a sdhc card up to 32 megs.

As supplied new a 920 is only loaded with CSpeech files for the continent its purchased in, when you use LMG you get both the Western Europe AND North American maps supplied with CSpeech files, the net result is the maps don't fit on the device!

To get everything on the unit and make space for further growth consider a minimum of a 4GB SD/ SDHC card, otherwise every time you update the device you will be fighting for space - Mike

and I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that these things ARE supported by the GO 920 device.

Most of those features are supported once your application is updated to 8.351, sometimes you need to power off/on after the intermediate or final update, so that the update "registers" on the device first. Then HOME should properly recognize it.

Trancend are a decent make of SDHC card and with a speed of Class 6 you will be fine with that in the device - Mike

Alright, I got the 8GB SDHC card in the mail today, put it into the TomTom, put the TomTom on the dock and connected it to my computer.

As HOME started up I got this window:

140f4tj.jpg

This looked promising since I hadn't gotten this window before and it clearly recognized the 8GB SDHC card; I selected the "Memory Card" option.
Then I went back to the Latest Map Guarantee window, clicked Get It Now and after downloading them again I was met with the same error message as before...not enough space.

2vjeidz.jpg

Avoiding this error is the whole reason I got the card in the first place...yet clearly it hasn't changed anything. There is also definitely enough memory on the card, so the problem seems to be that it's still trying to install it to the internal memory which doesn't have enough space instead of using the card. Anyone got any ideas of what to do?

Thanks again!

The latest version of Home is buggy in where it installs stuff. Sometimes it puts things in the place (internal vs SD) that you don't ask it to.

Just remove all computer voices from your Tomtom, and you should have more than enough memory to install the map on the internal. After the map is installed you can use windows explorer to move it to the SD if you want.

Then re-add all the computer voices you need under "add voices" in HOME.

I deleted the voices from the TomTom, which freed up 109MB of space (it said I needed 104MB).
It loaded considerably farther this time when downloading the maps but still came up with an error that prevented them from downloading...this time saying that there still was not enough free space ("-18.1MB")

Here's a screenshot of the error:
15d5axk.jpg

Does the minus sign (-) in front of the 18.1MB have any significance? And if not, what else can I get rid of to free up the extra 18.1MB so that I can get the maps?

Thanks again!

Ask a Question