Change voices in XXL 540 TM

1) I chose Richard when I first set up my GPS. This morning when I tried to delete foreign voices from my GPS to save some free space, I found that Richard is not a computer voice and that I have computer voice Susan in the device. What will I have to do to replace Richard with Susan? Thank you.

2) Before I deleted two French voices (Catherine & Jacques) and two Mexican voices (Norma & Raul), I saved them in my computer. Because I did not know what files that belonged to these four voices I clicked the tab "Save to computer" in Home screen instead of using Windows Explorer. I also saved the French computer "Charlotte" voice to the computer but I did not delete Charlotte from the GPS. Now I find files with Charlotte name all over the computer. I cannot find Catherine, Jacques, Norma and Raul names in the computer. I think because Charlotte is a computer voice so the file is pretty big.

My question is if I delete Charlotte from the GPS what should I do to retrieve it from the computer when I want to because there are so many files with Charlotte name (all of them belonging to TomTom). Thank you.

Last edited:
Try this:

In Home-->Manage My Device-->Computer tab-->Voices: See what's there and you should be able to select the ones to add back to the unit.

Similarly, Device tab-->Voices-->You should be able to remove the ones you don't want.

Thank you for your prompt reply DHN.

I clicked on "Manage My Device", a screen appeared with Application (1), Maps (1), Voices (5), etc...

In "Voices", it shows 2 computer voices: Susan (US English) and Charlotte (Canada French) which are in LoquendoTTS folder and 3 other English voices with 0,7 MB each in Voices folder.

When I checked on one voice, there are only 2 options: "Remove Items from Device" and Copy Items to Computer. There are no options for me to choose Susan as the voice for the device (GPS).:confused:

I can remove Richard from the device, If he is not in there then he cannot speak and give directions. However, what should I do to choose Susan as the voice for the device? She is in the LoquendoTTS folder.

In the Susan folder there are 5 files, each of which looks like a sheet of paper with a folded upper right corner with 6 small pictures/designs in the middle - 4 of them are "bin" file and 1 of them is "vde" file.

I have Susan voice in my device already but I don't know how to get into the APP menu to go to Change Voice menu.

I have the GPS on and am trying to tap on the screen but nothing happens.

How do I get menus to appear on the GPS screen? I have it on, but there is only the image of the GPS and I searched all over the TomTom website and forums to look for ways to make APP menu appear on the screen but could not find any. It only said tapping on the APP menu then tapping on Change Voice. How do I tap and what do I tap on to make the APP menu appear. Thank you.

Last edited:
For a 540 model:

Change Preferences-->Arrow right-->(page 2 of preferences) Change Voice.

To get to Change Preferences fromm the driving view, just tap the middile of the screen.

I have done it. It is really hard when you know nothing about the GPS, But finally I did it and now I have Susan in my device. :):):)

Thank you.

Ask a Question