Change maximum alert distance

It appears that the maximum POI alert distance is 9999yards. I would like to use alerts for certain POIs at a further distance. Is there a way to change this? Thanks.

I do not believe so but why would you want to know of a poi 7 miles from you??

I can give you an excellent reason: Displaying the proximity to a desirable FM station, for which 30-50 miles would be much handier than 9,999 yards or whatever.
For years on cross-country trips, I tuned in NPR stations wherever I could find them. I used an NPR database which was helpful, but out in parts of Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico, finding one was a problem.
So a couple of years ago, I participated with two other people, one in FL, the other in TX, in creating a database of antenna locations for all licensed FM stations, close to 10k as I recall. We pulled out just the NPR stations and all of their translators. We went on and pulled out POI lists of other kinds of stations, Christian included, and posted them on POI factory, although at least the NPR POI list was posted here.
But the station list wasn't all that useful to someone driving several hundred miles a day, when it could tell me, without fiddling with it, that I was only within several miles of the transmitting antenna. I wanted to know when I was within the marginal range of the station.
That's why I ended up buying a Sirius unit for my car radio.

Valid reason......

At least there are web sites that let you enter the city and see what clear channel station frequencies would work in that region. Not as good as a poi category, I agree, but better than no information at all.

Here's just one site

Ham repeater POI

I Googled "ham repeater POI" and came up with quite a few sites. POI factory has some prepared by by state and band. My guess is that the POIs use the center of the community rather than the antenna coordinates, but I haven't looked at them for quite a while. I don't recall that the FCC database has coordinates for ham repeater antenna locations as they do for broadcast station antennas.

Ask a Question