Car Kit - Speaker direct or bluetooth?

Hi,

Can anyone who has the TT car kit tell me how the speaker is connected. Does the speaker connect via bluetooth for spoken navigation instructions, or is it directly connected through the iPhones docking connector?

The reason being, I would prefer to continue using my cars built in bluetooth for phone calls, and just have the speaker on the TT car kit for the navigation instructions only.

Have looked online but cant find any clear information on how the iphone interfaces with the kit. Hopefully someone on here can help......

Thanks

Simon

Welcome to TTF.

One of our supermods, Mikealder, is UK based and I know he will have a good answer for you when he sees this thread.

I'll draw the attention of the thread to him so check back. (of course, others may answer as well but the kits are not well known here in North America).

The GPS data and the power goes through the docking connector the audio is transmitted to the speaker using Bluetooth.
If you want the iPhone to use the cradle for power and GPS but not audio simply don't bother pairing it to the cradle, I use mine this way as I have a better audio bluetooth system in my car than the speaker in the TomTom cradle - Mike

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure it will work the way I need in that case. I cant get the TT voice navigation on my car audio via blu tooth (only does voice calls) which was why I was hoping i could use the car kit for navigation audio, and the car for voice calls.

I can get the TT navigation instructions using the wired aux input of my car audio, but then i cant listen to radio as well..

Is there a solution to have TT nav instructions on an external speaker, and everything else via the cars audio/bluetooth system?

Simon

I have Nav instructions from the iPhone through the car speakers, the music playing can be from the radio, CD, DVD, memory stick or the . All sounds from the iPhone go to the car via Bluetooth but my car is fitted with something called iO-Play which supports HFP AND A2DP bluetooth protocols.

Your car only supports HFP by the sounds of it (excuse the pun) to get audio from the Nav app via Bluetooth requires A2DP support from the car.

Sadly I doubt you will be able to do what you are looking for unless you add a different Bluetooth kit to the car that supports BOTH modes (HFP and A2DP) - Mike

Ask a Question