Can't Update "ephem" files

TomTom Model(s)
ONEXL
I have a problem with my TomTom OneXL.

The key problem is that GPSQuickFix isn't running/updating any more.

The problem appears to lie in the "ephem" directrory on the GPS - there are three files in it, but they are all empty, and I cannot delete either them or the directory itself.

This directory regularly shows as the source of problems when I get error messages while trying to update my GPS, and that happens frequently.

How about this.........

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's device.
2. Format the unit, don't use quick format.
3. Connect to Home and install only the application offered.
4. Use Explorer to copy back the specific map folder
5. Delete any sub folders found here: c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\

6. Connect to Home again and see if a new gpsquickfix file is offered. If so, install.

For unknown reasons there is one particular file in the Ephem folder on my ONE XL which randomly disappears. Instead of going through the “delete the Ephem” etc, the following does seem to work and may be a quicker solution once your other issue is solved.

1. Copy/paste the missing file “lto.dat” which I keep as a handy backup on my computer, to the ephem folder.
2. Re-start TomTom, connect to TomTom Home, and it should again download the satellite data update.

Before I give your suggestion a try, dhn, one question.

You say

>>3. Connect to Home and install only the application offered.<<

What do you mean by "Connect to Home"? Surely if I have formatted the unit there will be no software on it, and it won't connect to anything other than the computer where it will show as an empty "drive".

Presumably I am misunderstanding something!

When you connect to Home, Home will 'see' that the unit is missing an application and offer to install one. Do so and disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon in Home's screen (bottom right).

That worked very well, dhn. Not quite as straightforward as you indicated, but the method worked fine, and my TomTom is now updating GPSQuickFix properly, and thus locking on to the satellites as one would expect.
Thank you for your help - both expert and very fast!

Before I give your suggestion a try, dhn, one question.

You say

>>3. Connect to Home and install only the application offered.<<

What do you mean by "Connect to Home"? Surely if I have formatted the unit there will be no software on it, and it won't connect to anything other than the computer where it will show as an empty "drive".

Presumably I am misunderstanding something!
What is not understood by most users is that there is an inviolate area of memory on the TomTom that even formatting does not touch. In that bit of memory are the requisite USB protocol stacks and the identify of the device .. enough such that even when formatted, your computer (and Home) will recognize it as a TomTom device, even though the TomTom doesn't have any code with which to do any navigation.

Ask a Question