Can't get a reliable signal... please help

This "no signal found" thing on the TT ONE LE is getting ridiculous.

When I first started up, I set up HOME and all the updates EXCEPT 7.161 before I took the unit outside. Yes, I did the QuickGPSFix update. After doing that, I played around with the settings in my house, and everything was good. The 2nd or 3rd day I had it (still before I took it in my car), it lost the signal. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when I still couldn't get a signal in my drive to work the next day, I became worried. I came back home (site of last valid signal) and waited for 10 minutes until it worked again. 6-8 satellites. I left it outside in one spot for 20 minutes then turned it off and came back inside. Since then, the signal has been spotty. It usually doesn't work inside, but works outside. I fully charged it today and took it outside (just outside my house) for 45 minutes, still only 6-8 satellites.

Since so many people say that 7.161 fixes this problem, I upgraded to 7.161, but still 6-8 satellites. I tried turning it on inside, and no satellites connected. I tried turning it on outside and left it there for 20 minutes (again, just outside my house), and no signal reached. What now?

Should I try hard-resetting it? If I do this, will I lose everything, including the 7.161 app? Will I also lose the updated 710 map and all MapShare changes? I'm assuming I'll lose the POI changes I made...

I've also been tinkering with a Garmin Nuvi 200 that I'm giving to my parents (they don't know jack about electronics, so I'm setting it up for them), and signal strength is NOT an issue at all. I like the ONE's functions more... should I have gotten a 3rd edition?

Since so many people say that 7.161 fixes this problem, I upgraded to 7.161, but still 6-8 satellites. I tried turning it on inside, and no satellites connected. I tried turning it on outside and left it there for 20 minutes (again, just outside my house), and no signal reached. What now?

I've also been tinkering with a Garmin Nuvi 200 that I'm giving to my parents (they don't know jack about electronics, so I'm setting it up for them), and signal strength is NOT an issue at all. I like the ONE's functions more... should I have gotten a 3rd edition?

I think everyone needs to call TomTom customer service up and complain.
This is absolutely ridiculous and the only way it will be fixed is if there are enough complaints about it.

Use a paper clip to reset it, nothing will lose and you might get a signal back, temporarily though, it'll happen again.

Also remove quickgpsfix, in my case it makes things worse, except giving you a fake impression of fast lock to sats.

Tomtom was well known about the problem, that's why it sold them through bestbuy only to easy the handling of returns. I guess. It seems to be a hardware problem, cannot be fixed by software update. The quickfix can only cheat a user's feeling, nothing more than that, pluss it is so lame - have to get a new fix every 7 days through Internet for a device that's not connected.

You may try a 3rd ED. In my experience, it is flawless. As I said in many posts, you can get all the features/functions of LE, except 3 things: 1) Bluetooth, 2) SD slot, 3) auto shut-off by key.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I actually upgraded to the "new" QuickGPSFix just yesterday, and it's still doing this.

What I want to know is why there were no problems the first couple days I used it, but I have problems now?

Also, is it true that the 3rd Edition doesn't have this issue? If that's the case, what does the 3rd Edition lack that the LE has, other than the SD card (which I won't use)? I've heard that a minor software upgrade can give it the itinerary feature. Do both units have the same # of POIs?

See my edited post above.

It is a reliability issue, so nobody can predict when it'll happen again. In my case, I drove 30 miles no problem then signal got lost on the way back, the same freeway, the same open sky. I saw another post that she drove to work no problem but lost signal in her office and afterwards.

You must keep a paper clip with a LE, this is so far the only available fix (no guaranteed that it'll always work though).

I have seen many complaints from LE users, but none from 3rd ED users yet. My 3rd always got solid signal, getting 2 or more sats and lock to sats faster than LE.

Meanwhile, 3rd ED is selling in all stores, RadioShack, Staples, Target.... Tomtom cannot afford any trouble. For LE, they were prepared. Only a bad store like Bestbuy (Compusa is the only another bad store in my opinion) would conduct such dirty deals.

Last edited:
See my edited post above.

It is a reliability issue, so nobody can predict when it'll happen again. In my case, I drove 30 miles no problem then signal got lost on the way back, the same freeway, the same open sky. I saw another post that she drove to work no problem but lost signal in her office and afterwards.

You must keep a paper clip with a LE, this is so far the only available fix (no guaranteed that it'll always work though).

I have seen many complaints from LE users, but none from 3rd ED users yet. My 3rd always got solid signal, getting 2 or more sats and lock to sats faster than LE.

Meanwhile, 3rd ED is selling in all stores, RadioShack, Staples, Target.... Tomtom cannot afford any trouble. For LE, they were prepared. Only a bad store like Bestbuy (Compusa is the only another bad store in my opinion) would conduct such dirty deals.

Don't feel bad. My 910 was working fine until the new firmware update and I now have problems finding satellites right after GPS fix , a lot of times get a gray screen on startup,used paper clip reboot and wham locked onto 9 satellites immediately. Maybe some day TT will get some programmers.

When I first started up, I set up HOME and all the updates EXCEPT 7.161 before I took the unit outside. Yes, I did the QuickGPSFix update. After doing that, I played around with the settings in my house, and everything was good. The 2nd or 3rd day I had it (still before I took it in my car), it lost the signal. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when I still couldn't get a signal in my drive to work the next day, I became worried. I came back home (site of last valid signal) and waited for 10 minutes until it worked again. 6-8 satellites. I left it outside in one spot for 20 minutes then turned it off and came back inside. Since then, the signal has been spotty. It usually doesn't work inside, but works outside. I fully charged it today and took it outside (just outside my house) for 45 minutes, still only 6-8 satellites.

Should I try hard-resetting it? If I do this, will I lose everything, including the 7.161 app? Will I also lose the updated 710 map and all MapShare changes? I'm assuming I'll lose the POI changes I made...

hi i dont know if this will work for everyone but i had same prob with 510 so i opened it up and cleaned the antenna on top part of the unit plus along side theres a copper coil spring type i moved it out a fraction then waited for a fix and got it and i stil have it 5 days later no probs i was working on it for a week or more before this i put in back in the casing and thats that regards

In addition to the pin reset, you might try using the clear-flash tool also. Sometimes this will fix issues with the unit.

Also, like an earlier poster suggested - delete QuickGPSFix updates from your device. Your unit(s) should find satellites Ok without it. It may take a little longer initially, but if you use it frequently - it should not have problems finding satellites in your area after that.

Ask a Question