can't connect GO 700 to pc. help?

Don't take this the wrong way but, I've said what versions I've tried throughout the thread.
Regardless, I've tried 1.5, 2.4.0.94 and 2.5. None recognize the TomTom as a device.
Manually updating isn't an option as this model doesn't have a sd card slot.

Not version of home... version of application on the tomtom. The versions prior to 7.x are finicky with windows xp compatibility.

Here's version 7.162

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_7.162.8492.go700.cab

If you have 6.x or earlier, try installing this to see if it helps.

1) set windows to show hidden/system files
2) take the sd card from the tomtom and put in an windows reader
3) copy everything on the card to your computer (as a backup)
4) extract the link above with winzip/winrar and copy onto the root of the sd card
5) insert the card back in the tomtom and start it up

Manually updating isn't an option as this model doesn't have a sd card slot.

Also, my computer has been set to show hidden files since well before I started trying to get this to work.
The TomTom is using bootloader version 3.3 that appears to date to 2005.

Sorry, I looked up the 700 yesterday and I thought it said it had an SD card. Weill I looked again and it's got a 2.5" laptop hard drive inside (must have been really sleepy last night).

Have you tried manually change the driver of the "unknown device" to a "USB mass storage device" under windows xp? You may have more luck finding a win98 machine and manually installing a sandisk USB driver on the device, since win98 doesn't attempt to require the driver be similar to the hardware type. This should be a 1-time thing as once you get the system to bootloader 5.x / navcore 7.x it becomes much more xp compatible.

Or, if you want to risk it, you can disassemble it. The closest site I could find is:

How do I get battery replaced in a TomTOM GO 700 is USA? or get TomTom Support to improve?

It has pics to remove the battery. Some time in the process you should be able to see the hard drive and remove it. You'll probably need a torx (star-shaped) screwdriver. If you connect the hard drive to a computer, look for a folder with files system, ttsystem, data.chk, etc. (it may not be on the root of the hard drive). And replace the files with the one from the attachment. I don't know if XP can read the hard drive because tomtom runs linux internally, you may need to find a linux box (I know zilch about linux).

Or (the option I would take if the driver switching won't work), just buy a refurb 720. It's around $160 from many reputable online websites. You might be able to craigslist the 700 for $50-$100 so your net cost won't be that much.

I'm also having the same problem with a Go 700 unable to connect to a Windows Vista 32 bit PC. Any one find out what this issue is?

Ask a Question