can't connect GO 700 to pc. help?

I was given a TomTom GO 700 and I can't get it to connect to my computer to save my life.

It did not come with a usb connector but I found that I had a digital camera usb connector that would fit it. When plugged in my pc (xp pro service pack 3 fully updated) it is recognized as "TUSB6250" and xp attempts to find drivers for it. No drivers are found and xp can not install it as a device. In the device manager it lists TUSB6250 as an unknown usb device.

I've since installed TomTom HOME 2.5 which made no difference. I then followed the instructions from TomTom, which was to fully uninstall version 2.5 and install a previous version (1.6 maybe?). That also made no difference. I've tried connecting it to a different pc (xp home service pack 3 fully updated) and still no change. I have also tried the 'reset' button on the bottom of the unit (tried both pushing the button with a paperclip and also tried holding down button for 15 seconds). Again, no difference. Finally, I've bought a different usb connector and it still does exactly the same thing.

I can think of nothing else to try. Any suggestions?

When you plugged into home 1.6, did you try to upgrade the software via the home application? Tomtoms with older firmware versions don't appear as valid USB devices to XP, but HOME 1.6 can often still upgrade their firmware, The later firmware will then make them look like USB drives in XP.

Sometimes you have to have both home 1.6 and 2.5 present simultaneously, then attempt a firmware upgrade with 1.6 and fail, then try with 2.5 and it will succeed.

I had to do this with my friend's 510. I'm not sure if the required tinkering for the x00 series is even worse. Once you get a XP-readable firmware on it, the 500 is supposed to eventually upgrade to app 7.903.

Thanks for the attempt but I'm not having any luck with this either. Neither version of TomTom HOME recognize the device. Both versions say something close to "Please Connect Your TomTom Device". Trying to update the unit fails because it is never recognized as being connected. I have also tried mixing up the order in which I try things and that also seems to have no effect. I also tried to update it on one version and then the other and that too didn't matter.
Any other ideas?

Can you remove the USB through Device Manager and allow Windows to recreate it upon startup? Would that help?

Maybe the device is giving a bad device ID.

Can you go into device manager and manually change its driver to "USB mass storage device"?

Thank you everyone for the suggestions but I'm still coming up dry here.

@dhn: I tried uninstalling it via the device manager and restarting. When the tomtom is turned on I get the "found new hardware wizard" and it always fails to find a driver.

@mvl: I can manually change the driver but "usb mass storage device" isn't an option. There are similar options like "disk drives" and "storage volumes" but, if I choose either of these then XP asks for a disc where the specific driver is located.

I'm not sure if this means anything but I have noticed when the unit is connected to my pc and turned on then there is briefly a message on the tomtom stating, "I2C EMPTY". Google hasn't been highly helpful in explaining what that means.

Sorry to be slow to reply. Got sidetracked.

Yes, I've tried their suggestions also. Nothing I try seems to make it work. I've thought about trying to reset it to the factory settings but I'm a bit cautious about losing the functionality that it does have. I've also been in contact with the TomTom support people and though pleasant and helpful, they've not been able to assist either.

Restoring to factory settings will cause a loss of custom settings like language, home location, date, time, favourites, preference settings, etc. It will not eliminate unit functionality.

That's good to know. I was only worried about losing maps. Do you think it would help anything to reset it to the factory settings?

It will cost you time to input the information again, of course, but considering the lack of functionality of the unit regarding its being recognized by the computer, what do you have to lose?

You ARE sure you've tried the pin reset first without success?

I have reset it using the pin hole on the base of the unit. For argument's sake I'll try it again before I reply again. Previously I held the pin hole button for 15 seconds and then held the power button for 5 seconds. Then when turned on the power light flashed, then came on solid green and when the unit came on it briefly showed a diagnostic screen.

I have reset the device again and I'm still making no headway. I'll take you through what I've done.

Reset the device using the pin hole button. After powering back up it shows a diagnostic screen. (I took a photo of the screen in case any of that info is of use.) I then also reset to the factory settings via the preferences and then turned off the unit.

I connected the usb cable to a port on the back of my computer. My OS is xp 32bit professional edition and is fully patched. I have TomTom Home 1.5 installed and it is running.

I connect the TomTom Go 700 to the usb and turn it on. The TomTom displays an illustration of the back of the unit showing a plugged in usb cable with an 'X' to suggest it would be a poor idea to unplug at this time. The illustration changes to the back of the device with the usb cable without the previously mentioned 'X'. There is never any message on the TomTom asking if I want to connect to my computer.

On the computer side: When I turn on the device with TomTom Home 1.5 running I get the xp 'found new hardware wizard'. I change the active window to TomTom Home 1.5 and under the 'My Device' tab it states, "Please connect your TomTom device using a usb cable, and turn it on." If I choose 'change device' from the 'device' drop down menu then I get the message, "There is no compatible TomTom device connected to the computer."

:confused:

I'm stymied.........

I really don't think what I'm about to suggest will help at all..............................

In this site is a link to a newer version of Home (but at least 2 versions older than the newest...)

Want to try to dl and install it and then see if your unit is fully recognized? Other than that, I'm stumped. Perhaps some of our members far wiser than I can assist or a call to support at 866-486-6866.

From your link I've downloaded and installed TomTom Home 2.4.0.94 but that version also doesn't recognize the device. Thanks for trying. :)
It was given to me so if I can never update it then I suppose it's not that much a tragedy. Still, I wish it would connect.

I'm sorry I couldn't help but check into this thread from time to time as somebody may come by with a suggestion that'll work for you.

I've spoken with the TomTom people and so far they've not suggested anything that wasn't already suggested here.
I have it set up for email notifications so I'll not miss anything. Similarly, if this does get sorted I'll post back saying what was done to make it connect.

do you have anything else that you can connect to your comp. using same usb ,say a psp,camera,cell phone?and if so does the comp recognize them?

Both the port and the cable are fine. The port I use normally has a functional bluetooth dongle in it and the usb cable fits a mp3 player I have.

What application version are you running? If you manually upgrade the application (by copying it onto the SD card via a card reader) it may be able to fix the USB functionality.

Ask a Question