Cannot Set-Up

Hello All...Well as my luck would have it I just got this TOM TOM 910 for my birthday, and I took it out of the box three hours ago, read the 9 page book. Then proceeded to start...I hit the start button held it for about 2-3 seconds, it came on, and all I get is a picture of the tomtom, showing the smart card going into the unit over and over again... I figured it was telling me to insert mine so I did...Then it showed the card coming back out over and over again with a big RED X on it. So I took it back out.

This is as far as I can get...Went to the support pages, and did what they suggested..Charged the unit for 2 hours, did the paperclip reset thing. Tried to start it again and get the same thing....

I'm frustrated, as is my wife since she is the one that bought it for me...

Any suggestions? My computer will not see it either...When I hook the USB in and turn it on, the tomtom shows a USB cord on the monitor, but the tomtom software won't recognize it...

I figure it must be because I cannot get past the set-up to register...Tried calling support but they are closed...I will try calling them tomorrow. If they can't help I send it all back!!

HELP!

R. Bell

SD card on a 910, hmm ... something wrong somewhere...:confused:
You can return it to the store can't you ?

Yes, I have the latest update. When I installed the program, it automatically did the update to 1.5.32.0

Thats just the software though. I can't even get the thing to ask me those set-up questions the book talks about.

Here's what the book says, " Quote"

Setting Up

"You have to answer a few questions to set up your Tom Tom One. Answer the questions by tapping the screen. You will use the touck screen for everything you do with your One."

Thats it. It sayS nothing more, and there is no troubleshooting in the book. I tried booting it up with the smart card in it, and without it..Nothing works...I can't even register it because the second sequence of numbers is supposed to be on the screen, after you get past the set-up...So I really don't know what gives here. Probably a defective unit...

When I use the USB the software doesn't see the TomTom either. Keeps telling me to plug it in, after I do plug it in...

RB

Can't Set-up

Yes the TomTom 910 comes with a smart chip, the same size as a Kodak Digital Camera. This thing has just one button on top. Supposed to just turn it on and go...Not happening...

:(

From what I've read on this board the 910 uses a hard drive to store data, not a flash memory. Did you charge the unit before using it, since hard drives use more power than a flash memory chip, and the battery may be marginal without a charge.

Sounds to me you have a TomTom ONE, not the 910. It is even mentioned in the setup quote you mentioned. The 910 does not have a memory card.

But regardless of which model you actually have, you have problems and most likely have a defective unit. Back to the store, I say.

Are you sure you have the TT910? It is also possible that you have a TT510, the TT910 does not have an SD slot nor does it come with an SD card.
Both these model's look alike.

Also your qoute mentions TT1. Please make sure what model you have so we all can better help you.

I apologise gentlemen...I do indeed have the TomTom One....Right on the green box...I found out it does have a corrupt or empty SD Card...

Two Techs confirmed it, so I will return this to QVC where my wife got it.

Do you think the TomTom One is a good reliable unit? If not I may upgrade to the next level. What do you think? Get one with the card or not? Sure don't like what I see so far!!

Thanks Guys,

R Bell

You can have bad luck with anything electronic. Usually, something like a faulty chip shows up very quickly, as you have seen. Most of us have had good luck with ours.

As to whether to choose the 910 or the ONE, it depends on your needs. Navigation and mapping will be the same. The software running the unit is the same. What the 910 (for a higher price) is the ability to use it as a hands-free telephone via Bluetooth. You are also paying for maps of Europe, which you may or may not want.

The ONE is a more basic unit that doesn't have the hands-free telephone ability. You basically use it as a navigation system only. It also has the advantage of being light and thin so you can slip it in your pocket. This is handy, because you shouldn't leave the unit in your parked car.

Thanks 46jimbo, good points made there!

Also I was wondering, is there an advantage in having an SC Card over one that does not? Like the 910 vs the One...I was reconsidering the TomTom 910 over the One, but what about running out of disk space or will that happen?

We are strickly into the navigation aspect of the GPS nothing else, but we also want some of the nicer features like the voices telling you where and when to turn. Rerouting, etc...

What is your opinion on these things. I'll watch for your reply (s)....

Thanks,

RB

If an SD card messes up, you just pop in a new one and transfer your backup files. But if the 910's hard drive dies or malfunctions, you're stuck.

Even with the new ONE, with it's internal memory, I assume that if that part messes up that you can insert an SD card with the map and operating system and it will function. (I don't think anyone has been able to actually test this one out!)

Personally, I like SD cards. They are so cheap now, plus I can swap them with my camera when I want.

I guess the reason I had to send my TT One back is because we got it off QVC. Otherwise I probably could have gotten another card. I don't know...

I ask the technician if he could send me a download link for the maps, but unfortunately TT does not have a link. You have to get a disk mailed to you which he says took two weeks! I didn't have the time to wait because of QVC 30-day return policy...

TT support should provide links for these repairs, like other products. That would help resolve issues faster. Your right about the camera card. I was able to get the TT One set-up when I put in the card from my Kodak camera at work, but without the maps you DOA...

RB

Ask a Question