tomtom1000 - Cannot switch on without a reset

My tom tom 1000 will not switch on.......The only way I can get it on is to hold the "ON" button down every time for 15 sec and that resets the sat nav back factory settings... so every time I download the latest maps... I loose them next time I have to start up:crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Resetting the unit should NOT cause a loss of installed maps. It will result in all user settings to be lost, though.

A 15 second reset isn't the same as a "reset to factory settings" from the menus.

A 15 second reset shouldn't lose ANY of your settings
A return to factory settings will lose most of your personal settings but certainly shouldn't lose any maps.

What happens when you connect the unit to MyTomtom?

Hi again... can you be a bit more specific?
What updates is MyTT offering? Do you accept them? Does it offer the same updates every time?

Also, have you actually tried the return to factory settings from the settings menu?

no sorry, I can not be more specific as I do no know?

No I have not returned to factory settings using the settings menue.

Yes I do accept them......it then says " Your navigation device is up-to-date"

When MyTomTom offers you an update, there should be a "More info" link you can click on. What does that tell you?

And why not try a return to factory settings now, and tell us if that helps?

I am just about to go on a three month trip in three different European countries and need the tom tom ....so i am not sure I want to upset the the workings on the sat nav.. I would prefer something that is better than nothing??? if you know what I mean

would going back to factory settings from the menue ...revert the sat nav back to starting as normal, by just a slight pressure on the on button for a second or two???

All that a 'return to factory settings' does, is reset a few personal settings, it doesn't do anything fundamental, so all you'd need to do is add back your Home location and a few other preferences.

Worth it I'd have thought, if it fixes the problem.

But there's obviously no guarantee that it will, we are just tryikng to come up with some suggestions for you to try.

Here's a full list of what a factory reset does and doesn't do:

A "Return to Factory Settings" forgets or resets:
Language
Left/Right Handedness
Miles/Km
Clock format
Asks for correct time but seems to remember it.
Voice
Map selected
Map Colour scheme (cannot select a custom scheme the first time!)
MapShare joining
Status Bar preferences
Volume Preferences
Street Name Preferences
Keyboard Preferences
Planning Preferences
Music Preferences
Battery saving preferences (this is where "shutdown on loss of power" is)
Hide tips setting
User name and password for the Plus services
Car symbol
Quick menu preferences.

It also forgets for the current map:
Home Location
Recent Destinations
POI Warnings
Itineraries
Map Share corrections

It seems to remember:
Safety Preferences
User POI's themselves (the files are not deleted. In fact it comes back with them ALL selected to show on map)
Brightness Preferences
Speaker Preferences
Start up and shutdown screens
Any settings for other maps installed but not currently selected (favourites, POI warnings etc.)

So all you'd need to do is add back your Home location and a few other preferences.
Worth it I'd have thought if it fixes the problem (but there's obviously no guarantee that it will)

Ask a Question