Canadian Map Store OPEN !!!!

I guess one question I have is, do I put in a new empty SD card (no internal on the Rider) before I get started?...or does it just install overtop of the existing. I cant remember how I did it the last couple of times.

Cheers

Well, you'll love this...........

The latest version of Home, being so 'robust' as it is :)mad:) has a bug in it such that if you select internal, it may try to store on sd card instead OR as well. If you select sd card, it may put it in internal as well OR instead!!!!

What should happen is that you put the card in your unit, connect to Home, it'll ask which you want to use, internal or card, you select the location you want and THEN download the map to that location....

But, as pointed out,it may ignore your choice and put it on internal even if you don't want it there. If it does, you can certainly move it from internal to sd card using Explorer. Just have enough room on internal to allow for the download.

Yes, sometimes map updates overwrite existing maps but sometimes you just get the message that there isn't enough room to install and it won't update.

I left my device on the puter overnight as it was downloading the new map, and lo and behold, this morn the new map did indeed install itself onto my 2gig SD card. So all is well.....I am thinking because the map file is named exactally the same it could do that.

I have to charge up my device, as it was completely dead this morn (the puter doesnt charge a Rider), so will check out the new map later to see if the omissions and errors of the previous maps have been corrected.

To all a great, happy and safe Christmas!

Cheers

ps: its snowing nice big lazy flakes here, so it is really nice and Christmassy

I've been sending Mapshare updates about wrong address number locations on a major boulevard in my city since I bought my unit in 2007. With every new map update it was never corrected UNTIL NOW.

It is not even corrected in TomTom Route planner yet so I finally get to see a correction with a new map purchase :).

I am somewhat disappointed that the 840 does not include sections of my town (pop 8000) that have been in existance for almost 10 years.

It does however finally show the correct 4-lane divided hwy between my town and the next.

I also noted that several major "Trails" in Calgary, AB (which are constanltly being changed) have not been updated, some of which are over 2 years old.

I suspect that very little attention is actually paid to Canada.

After the install, I went to my 815 map folder (previous back up with Explorer) and copied over the mapsettings.cfg file to retain my Favourites.

Once done, I made a 840 folder in My Documents to back up my new map.

Hopefully it is worth the 46.00 Loons.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I used a gmail account I have that ends in .com.
I changed my eMail address to my Google account and got the same Enter a valid email address
Called Support who said that this is a 3rd party vendor but I told him that I was there through the TomTom site and proper sign in.
After putting me on hold two times for five minutes he told me to scan further down and fill out the blanks below as that was needed to deal with Digital River, retailer of the map.
Any time I got that Enter a valid email address I didn't bother to go any further.

The screen capture you show is worrisome, Arno. I didn't take it that far, just to the screen showing the full amount in Canadian dollars. The next screen was the credit card information, so I stopped.
That screen print came from clicking on the Digital River Inc link on the bottom of the page where you sign in.

Anyway, I signed in, gave them my credit card number, got the invoice for CAD 62.95 including GST, downloaded the map, installed it copied the settings.cfg file back, closed down and backed up the whole 930 internal folder.

It is not even corrected in TomTom Route planner yet so I finally get to see a correction with a new map purchase :).

Tomtom route planner's still at map 835. They usually update it within a few weeks of the quarterly map release, it appears they forgot this time.

Arno said:

Anyway, I signed in, gave them my credit card number, got the invoice for CAD 62.95 including GST, downloaded the map, installed it copied the settings.cfg file back, closed down and backed up the whole 930 internal folder.

So you got the 840 map? If so, there is a sig line that needs updating! :D:)

Don't complain......two reasons: 1) you weren't forced to use the Netherland ervers and be charged an extra 20% VAT and 2) the favourable exchange rate.

So you got the 840 map? If so, there is a sig line that needs updating!
Well, I don't think the set up in the forum software to carry dynamic signatures is brilliant in this case.
I might confuse a newbie when making a topic search (yeah, who'd ever think of that) as maps and navcore may not match some of the discussions.

Your post is proof of that.
Anyone going backwards to my last post and see up-to-date info will wonder, what's Dave on about?

Driving down to the Roundhouse today for the First Annual New Year's Day run I noticed an upsetting difference in the colour scheme between my 805/815 and the 840 map.
West of Brimley it looked like water between the 401 and Sheppard.
When I got down to the Keating channel I noticed that it was a shade darker than the other blue/grey.
I also noticed that lager buildings were now shown on their lots instead of the whole space between streets shaded in dark beige.

At the desk, in Demo mode I see that industrial areas are now shaded in a dark mauve and the water in a greyish light blue.
Driving this morning under a darkish, overcast sky, the industrial area passed just had appeared to me like water in the past. If I had not known the area I might have become uncertain and thusly irritated.

It is a good thing that industrial areas are shown in a different colour than residential or offices but I guess I will have to check the other colour schemes now.

Ask a Question