Can I add my own POIs to TomTom One?

This is my first GPS and would like to add my own POIs. How do I do this? Seems like I should be able to push a button called "add new POI" and enter a name for it and/or location if I'm not there. I guess that would be too simple. I must be missing something as a noob but if I can't do this on the TomTom One it sucks. I want a POI list for MY gas stations
camping
restaurants
etc.

Thanks for any help, John

You need to go to the configure section and scoll through to POI management

I can't find configure section???

Am I asking the TomTom One for too much?

I'd like to have 3 CUSTOM POIs groups 1. my gas stations (credit card)
2. my fav. restaurants
3. my fav. camp grounds

I can get these places into "Navigate To" favorites but I'd like to have them in POIs with audio alerts.

This Noob still can't figure it out, help. Thanks.

I can't find configure section???

Am I asking the TomTom One for too much?

I'd like to have 3 CUSTOM POIs groups 1. my gas stations (credit card)
2. my fav. restaurants
3. my fav. camp grounds

I can get these places into "Navigate To" favorites but I'd like to have them in POIs with audio alerts.

This Noob still can't figure it out, help. Thanks.

Make sure you have the latest software uploaded to the tomtom and you can add your own.

This is my first GPS and would like to add my own POIs. How do I do this? Seems like I should be able to push a button called "add new POI" and enter a name for it and/or location if I'm not there. I guess that would be too simple. I must be missing something as a noob but if I can't do this on the TomTom One it sucks. I want a POI list for MY gas stations
camping
restaurants
etc.

Thanks for any help, John

John,
I agree, it should be easier than this. If you have a TT1 3rd ed., try this:
Go to Page 2 of the Main Menu. Tap "Map Corrections", then tap "Correct a map error", then "Add a missing POI". Pretty intuitive, no?
As far as I can tell, you can't add a category without some additional 3rd party software, but I could be wrong.
The (relatively) small number of installed POIs, and the absence of an "Add a POI Category" are 2 weak points to this particular model IMO, and this also may pertain to other One models.
Let us know if this works for you.
Regards.
Phil

Must be some stuff stripped out of the One version 3. On my One version 2 you go to "change prefs", then to "manage poi's", then to "add poi category" or "add poi" if you already made a category for what you want.

Other option is to go to POI threads in this forum and download pre made ones. Basically a *.cv2 file (with POI data) and a *.bmp which shows up on your map. You copy these into your map folder on TomTom, i.e. "USA_&_Canada 6.75 folder" (through windows explorer is easiest).

Then these will show up in your list of POI's when you search or you can check box them to show on the map while navigating.

The TomTom 3rd Edition is missing the "Manage POIs" Button that gets you into the "Add POI" and "Add POI Category" buttons.

But, if you create a custom menu as I describe below, you can get this button and other buttons such as the "Itinerary Planning" icon. You can also simply use the TomTom.mnu file that I provide on that page as I took a lot of time to create one that is pretty much all-inclusive.
>>> Custom Menu Making <<

Last edited:
download poi edit http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm

This program will allow you to create a tomtom poi file. You will need to know the coordinates of the locations you want to use. Save the file as tomtom .ov2 file in your map directory. POI Edit will also allow you do import a csv file to allow easier importation.

The TomTom 3rd Edition is missing the "Manage POIs" Button that gets you into the "Add POI" and "Add POI Category" buttons.

But, if you create a custom menu as I describe below, you can get this button and other buttons such as the "Itinerary Planning" icon. You can also simply use the TomTom.mnu file that I provide on that page as I took a lot of time to create one that is pretty much all-inclusive.
>>> Custom Map Making <<

Birdman,

I downloaded your map for the ONE V3 and it works nocely; thanks very much.

However, now when I go to manage POI's and I want to add or delete a POI, it will only show maybe 6 of the possible categories instead of all of them. Further more, is I search for obvious pre-rendered categories such as Gas stations, they are not found, but then if I go back to picking what POI's show on the map, all categories are present again.

Birdman,

I downloaded your map for the ONE V3 and it works nocely; thanks very much.

However, now when I go to manage POI's and I want to add or delete a POI, it will only show maybe 6 of the possible categories instead of all of them. Further more, is I search for obvious pre-rendered categories such as Gas stations, they are not found, but then if I go back to picking what POI's show on the map, all categories are present again.

The Manage POI button is only for custom POIs, therefore the selection will be limited to those POIs which are custom (i.e. the ones you create yourself, or a very few custom POI categories that TomTom actually provides) and cannot be used for built-in POI categories. You cannot add POIs to built-in categories unless you use a program called POIEdit (as someone already posted) or link the custom POI to an existing built-in POI category as I explain in this thread :
>>> Linking POI Categories <<<

OK, last question after adding your custom menu map:

It seems my map correction 'button' is now missing. Maybe I am just the noob I think I am and am looking right past it...

It was on my main menu page 2 of 2 before.

OK, last question after adding your custom menu map:

It seems my map correction 'button' is now missing. Maybe I am just the noob I think I am and am looking right past it...

It was on my main menu page 2 of 2 before.

I state this in my instruction sheet. There are certain buttons that TomTom hasn't allowed the community to add in the Navcore7 firmware. The HELP ME and MAP CORRECTIONs are two of these icons. Therefore, the custom menu will not be able to include these at this time. I'm sure somebody may at some point crack this, but as of now, you'll have to jump back and forth between the custom menu and the default menu if you want to use MAP CORRECTIONS.

Menu Help

Birdman thanks for the menu file and your customization site, was helpful and I really like the additional menu options it provides.

When I loaded your menu I noticed the "Help Me", "Map Corrections" and "Safety Preferences" menu items are gone. Just wanted to clarify that those can't be added to the customized menu at this time.

Thanks from a fellow Nittany Lion.

Sorry Birdman, I can read but took me a little while to process it all, your site instructions and your last post are pretty clear that "Help Me" etc. will not appear if you use a custom menu.

Thanks for all the support in the forum

Last edited:

Ask a Question