Buying a 910

TomTom Model(s)
GO Classic & 910
Guys I'm finally going to retire my Go Classic. I'm thinking of getting the 910. Are there still issues with the mounts or as that been resolved?

Hermdog

When I tested a 910 for a couple of weeks about a month or so ago, I had no problems with the mount. Just be sure to twist it twice, so you hear a click twice. The second click means it's in proper position. I'm sure someone with a 910 currently will join in soon.... :)

Sweet!! Thanks guys I debating "weather" to go pick it up right now. It's snowing and cold outside. I know I'm a wimp.

The new mount solved the drooping problem and if you do the second click it works fine. I broke my replacement mount when I did the second click so be careful that you do not install it when it is cold. That is the only thing I could think of that caused it to break. Vibration is a center of gravity issue but I mounted my unit low enough to rest on a silicon foot on the dash and their is no vibration.

Sweet!! Thanks guys I debating "weather" to go pick it up right now. It's snowing and cold outside. I know I'm a wimp.

Rats, I went to Staples to buy something for my daughter and they just had the One.
They show the 910 on their web site, never assume. It was 8:45, in a desperation move I went to Target next door and all they had was the One also. Curses foiled again! :(

Will try tomorrow after work at Circuit City or Best Buy.

Hermis

Maybe it's a sign from God that you should buy a ONE? :D

You will love the 910, I did. The ONE's form factor was just a better fit for me personally. I do miss the text to speech!

I would suggest going to Circuit City. Even Walmart has it a few dollars less!!!
I have both the ONE and 910. I like the color display and texture on the 910 than the ONE. But boy do I love the size of the ONE fitting into my pocket.
This weekend if I have time, I'll do a mini review on both units.

910 Now Acquired!!! Woohooo!!!

Well I did it and I love it!!!!!!! Circuit City had one. I love the reading of street names, I love the bluetooth to phone connection although my BB 7000i doesn't support data.
Some questions. How does the ipod control work? I'm guessing that the audio cables included do not allow you to control your ipod. Is there a optional cable that connects thru the dock connector? What's the best way to transfer my favorites, from my Classic to 910? Is there a HI-FI bluetooth speaker available? Does anyone have the RDS-TMC receiver and does it work in the USA?

Thanks for any info you can provide. Off to search the forums for some answers.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Did I mention I love the 910!!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase. I also love TTS. i like using the voice Dave. He sounds the most realistic.

The ipod is connected to your mount using a special cable. You can find this easliy on ebay and maybe other stores might carry them, like Staples. You use your TomTom to control you ipod music, etc.
If you have a back up from your classic look for the file: mapsettings.cfg and copy it to your 910's main directory.
The HI-FI bluetooth speaker I believe are stero units with a built in Bluetooth tech that your GO 910 might connect to. I don't think all bluetooth stereo units are compatible with the 910's bluetooth.
The RDS-TMC receiver is available but it won't work in the US. If you were to travel to Europe, it will work for you. However, there are many complaints about this accessory.

I think maybe i need to go check outthis 910 thing...see what all the fuss is about the TTS feature...

If you live in a multi lingual area (like Belgium, Swiss, East Europe, ...) don't flip over it.
I made my mind very clear, no TTS ... ever - just useless gimmick.
I came accross a post from Holland , the poster said lots of street names are wrongly pronounced ... and TomTom is a Dutch company !:D
In Quebec here half of the street names are ... missing or not visible in broad daylight !:(

I for one really liked the TTS feature. Not enough to give up my ONE, but I did find it useful. I also liked the hands-free calling, but since I have a bluetooth thingy that goes over my ear, again this wasn't enough to sway me away from the ONE.

All that being said, I would LOVE the ONE XL to have both of these features, I would upgrade in a flash! One can dream....... :)

Ok so I spent the day with my 910 and I still love it. Drove 3.5 hours round trip. Before I started my trip I went to Circuit City to get the iPod cable. The #1 thing I love is the remote, this changes everything. Easier to keep eyes on the road for me and still manipulate the GPS. The #2 is the phone integration with bluetooth hands free profile, I use the external mic. The #3 thing is the iPod control with the #1 thing.

Issues I do not like is the mounting and dismounting. I have to use both hands. And when mounting it, I am unsure whether it locks because I'm not hearing the click. The way I check is by moving it up to see if it is in place. I noticed that my power light didn't come on all the time, but this could be because I'm mounting challenged or maybe my dock is to low and not giving me enough maneuvering room with the dash.

The other thing that happened was that at one point after receiving a phone call and finishing the sound of the instructions or the sound from the iPod did not return, this happened once. Only shutting off and back on fixed this.

The last thing is that when I made a phone call and left a message whatever I was playing on the iPod gets recorded along with my message. It happened both times I left a message. One time for myself (while testing sound quality while driving on highway) and another when I called my wife a left a message.

I did have a long conversation with one of my coworkers and they said I sounded fine. One other thing is that while listing to the iPod if you get an instruction it does not pause the ipod. It would be nice if it paused an then unpaused.

These for me are not show stoppers. Hopefully updates will fix these things. I'm not sure if they are unique to my setup or if others have seen these issues.

hermdog

PS. TTS is the BOMB!!!!!

If you are trying to convertt ONE owners to 910 owners... just take a look at Pedro :D He went from 910 to ONE (recently) and so did fanchee.

I have to say though. You really have me curious on what I'm missing....

If you are trying to convertt ONE owners to 910 owners... just take a look at Pedro :D He went from 910 to ONE (recently) and so did fanchee.

I have to say though. You really have me curious on what I'm missing....

Not at all. ;) I guess I'd like to here from Pedro why he went from 910 to the ONE.

Oh that's easy... he was having TomTom withdrawls. He lent his 910 to a coworker and he couldn't take not having the girly voice tell him where to go...so he went out and bought a ONE. I think he has his 910 back and is using both... not sure though.

No problem here EXCEPT

Before you do anything to the TT910. Install the software, Hook up the TT910 to your computer. Use Windows Explore. Go to the TT910 and select everything and save on a diar disk, and later burn to a DVD All of the files, make sure you get ALL of them including the hidden ones if any. Save in a save place. Then you can use the TomTom Home software to back up your TT910 and Update it.

As far as the Hardware. My Motorola Razr works great with the Bluetooth phone system. The mount is really hard to turn to the double locked position where I located mine in my 2004 CTS see photo attached. It is in the left corner of the vehicle window. The mount is perfictly adjusted to allow the TT910 to lightly rest on the top of the dash. I can reach the screen if I lean foreward a little. I will remount it someplace else so that I can reach it with my right hand when I get another vehicle os that I can control it easier next year. This is a leased vehicle and I don't want to mess up anything.

I love it, but it dose have some info that is not correct in the software. You will find this with any GPS software which will be updated sooner or later. It is not really an issue. My exit is listed as 7 on the TT software but it is actuall exit 10. The roads are correct though.

I really like the information on the POI notification of gas stations when within the distance I selected and it tells me how far away the next one is while on a trip. It is a great partner when traveling. My wife can't read a map, or judge distance or anything, and doesn't know her left from her right. All she does now is sleep.

Attachments

• 01-16-07_1203.jpg
    01-16-07_1203.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 285
Yes, I did miss my GO 910 and I purchased my ONE because I didn't have my GPS unit and the ONE was really inexpensive.
I prefer my 910 because all the features it has over the ONE. I like the display screen and the color is nicer on the 910.
I like the ONE because of it's size. there are places I go where I don't want to take my tomtom Go carry bag, so i just place the ONE in my pocket. Also the ONE is easier to mount and take off. which I like over the 910.

I sometimes use both units to do a little comparison.
The 910 gives directions using miles and feet
The ONE gives directions using miles and yards.

Last edited:

Ask a Question