Bug re proper display of bodies of water?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One v3
I have a TomTom One running firmware 6.560 with the new North America map (665.1293) installed on a 2 GB SD card.

I live in Seattle, and there is a lot of water around here. I have noticed a curious bug in driving around, namely that bodies of water simply disappear depending on the map zoom level. For example, Green Lake appears as it should, as a blue body of water surrounded by green park, when one is zoomed out pretty far. However, at the default zooms my One uses when I drive, the water simply disappears from view and Green Lake is just a sea of green. I tried installing the USA and Canada map instead, and, the problem disappears in Green Lake but appears somewhere else -- the ship canal between Fremont and Queen Anne.

Has anyone (a) isolated the cause of this vanishing water bug or (b) reported it to TomTom? My guess at this point is that it is a firmware problem in the One as opposed to a map data glitch. But who knows.

Hi nodis,

I'm not sure if this is a bug. I think that since the ONE's screen is not widescreen like the x10 units, at the normal zoom for the ONE, it just doesn't show the bodies of water on the screen unless you are right next to it.

I had a 910 and a ONE for about 2 weeks. Using both on a trip, I would notice the 910 showed the lakes while the ONE would not UNLESS I was close enough to it. The ONE just doesn't have the screen real estate of the wide screen units.

Hi Fanshee --

Thanks for your idea, but I don't think that's it because (1) these same bodies of water displayed fine with the old maps/firmware and (2) the screen is big enough when driving along a lakeside road simply to show a sea of green where there should be blue fringed with green instead. As I said, what's odd is that the park with the lake will stubbornly appear as all green until one zooms OUT far enough at which point the blue lake will suddenly appear the way it was supposed to. (One would think details would disappear as one zoomed out, not the other way around.)

Ok, I think I understand now. I don't have an answer for you though. Maybe someone else can chime in. I can say that using the new USA/Canada mapset on my ONE, I didn't see any bodies of water at all on my ONE. But upgrading to the North America mapset, I do see them (as the screen permits!) :)

Agreed. No change in map detail level, and bodies of water (such as a nearby lake) that showed up on the previous map no longer do. As I mentioned on another post, the new maps have been much less accurate for my area, so I reverted back to the old. :(

I'd say it does have to do with the zoom level. This sounds similar when traveling through the freeway and having smaller streets disappear for viewing purposes. Try switching from 3d view to 2d and vice versa to see if their is a difference.

Ask a Question