Broken sound on 720

Hi, everyone

I just got my new 720, and update the latest firmware and map to 8.3 and 815 respectively. I also put 920 POI on it and enable the VR.

But I have a serious problem now, the voice is broken. It is not stuttering, it is just skipping frames, like playing mp3 on legacy 386 computers. When I lower the volume to a certain level (some voice 90%, some 85%), the voice is OK. That means I can't use 100% volume.

Any idea? Is this a individual unit defect or a problem cause by firmware?

Thanks.

Well, the lower the battery power if the unit is undocked, the more likely there will be sound distortions, especially at higher levels.

Most people find 100% too loud, though.

Thank you dhn.

I just tried it with the charger connected, the problem is gone.
But I still believe it is a bug, I want to use 100% sound but not charger everytime.

I ran into the same problem. Eventually there was not audio at all. I put in a support request and shortly after when I was updating it, the sound was back. I had not had it unplugged very long and the battery meter was only slightly below half.

J

i have similar problem, is this normal?

when battery level is low, sounds gone completely? or anybody's unit always have sounds until it shutdown itself?

the tech rep said its a feature, but the diagnose process (30 minutes discussion, quite friendly) makes me think he really was not sure at all.

Last edited:
My gut feeling is that it is 'normal' for firmware 8.3. I think the code in that release pushes the cpu processing to the max (also part of the cause of the stuttering) such that when not docked, the battery power drains faster and what the battery could sustain in past f/w's (like maintaining proper volume), the same battery level just can't do it in 8.3, hence the problems being experienced.

Just a hunch.

Hi, everyone

I just got my new 720, and update the latest firmware and map to 8.3 and 815 respectively. I also put 920 POI on it and enable the VR.

Thanks.

How did you get it all to fit with the 920 POI? I tried to add that and it said I was out of space.

Hi, everyone

How did you get it all to fit with the 920 POI? I tried to add that and it said I was out of space.
All of that also fit on my 720. However, it left me with only 39MB unused. I decided to put the NA map folder on my 4GB SD card and now I have 1.7GB unused on my Internal storage! :)

-Frank

Last edited:

Ask a Question