Broken inductor on 910 PCB

Hi All -
After years of trying to use the 910 reliably, I have come to terms with the fact that the docking connector is just never going to offer a stable enough connection - especially as it gets older (3 years) - to allow me to depend on the unit for navigation in a moving vehicle after the battery runs out.

So, I'm going to do something that will hopefully fix it for good. (I hope). What I plan to do is to add a power connector directly to the unit itself by making a hole in the case and mounting a power socket that the charger will plug directly into, bypassing the docking connector.I haave reverse engineered the docking connector, and the charger connections are just straight through.

So, I have disassembled the unit and have identified where I need to connect the new power feed. (The 2 end pins of the docking connector)

However, I have a problem. In removing the GPS module to see what to do, I was not prepared for the fact that, although it is held in place by screws, on my unit the inductor L2 on the main PCB is glued to the rear of the GPS module. (On other build runs it isn't) Unfortunately, then, in removing the GPS module, L2 has broken with the body coming away, stuck to the GPS module. As far as I can work out it is part of the backlight driver circuitry as the unit functions normally, but without any backlighting.

All I need is the spec of L2 so I can source another and re-fit it. Anyone have acces to schematics or BOMs?

It's kinda a last ditch attempt to get some reliable use out of a unit that is now on its third battery (because of the poor charging) and that has more than one come very close to being chucked out of the window on the motorway after the thing goes dead after an hour or so for the umpteenth time...

If UK based SuperMod Mikealder doesn't reply to you within the next 24 hours, please send him a pm. He has (or had) a 910 and loves to take things apart. I'm sure he can provide good information to you.

I will open up my 910 tonight when I get back home from work - One thing you should be aware of though is that the mount contains electroics that alter the functionality of the device, bypassing it in this way will stop some of the audio output options and backlight control will also be problematic - Mike

Hi Guys,
Thanks for any info you can find on this one - although I think it will be difficult without BOMs or schematics.

@Mike - understood re the mount. I'm not worried about the audio funtions (I have never used them) and isn't the additional backlight function to do with a hookup to the lighting circuit? (Which I also never used). So all I will use the mount for is for mechanical mounting. In fact I will probably cut all the tracks in it so that it's completely electrically isolated from the 910.

Thanks, Alistair

Without it being connected to the mount the auto backlight function won't work but you can still control this from the on screen selections - Mike

Sure that's no problem for me.

Now - any ideas on the inductor? I'm a bit stuck without a backlight at all!

Ask a Question