Brand new TT920 owner, first message

Well, the 920 seems nice enough, but I can't figure out how to play the mp3 files on the optional SD card. I can only play the mp3 files on the internal memory, but can't even locate the files on the SD card (I can see them on my PC when the TT is connected to it). The manual is of no help. :confused:

Also, what's the best way to mount it? The included suction cup is worthless. I can't drive more than half a mile before it falls off. Suction cups simply are not reliable, especially when you have lots of $$$ electronics hanging on the end of it.

The vent mount approach has two major problems: they attract thieves (since they are not easily removable), and I have to believe that the car's heater and AC blasting the TT are NOT good for the TT's reliability.

The beanbag approach might work if I glued the suction cup mount to the bag, but oh man it is unsightly. The more "stuff" I keep adding to get this GPS thing going the more tempted I am to just return to using Mapquest.

Can any of you TT gurus help? :D

Last edited:
Make sure the mp3s are in a folder called 'mp3' (all lower case, no quotes).

For the suction cup, make sure the windshield is clean where you want to place the cup, use a little spit on the cup and then press the cup onto the shield with the thumb and forefinger of each hand on either side of the stem; you are trying to compress the air out of the cup, you see, so apply decent pressure. Then, put the unit on the cup.

Well, the 920 seems nice enough, but I can't figure out how to play the mp3 files on the optional SD card. I can only play the mp3 files on the internal memory, but can't even locate the files on the SD card (I can see them on my PC when the TT is connected to it). The manual is of no help. :confused:

Also, what's the best way to mount it? The included suction cup is worthless. I can't drive more than half a mile before it falls off. Suction cups simply are not reliable, especially when you have lots of $$$ electronics hanging on the end of it.

The vent mount approach has two major problems: they attract thieves (since they are not easily removable), and I have to believe that the car's heater and AC blasting the TT are NOT good for the TT's reliability.

The beanbag approach might work if I glued the suction cup mount to the bag, but oh man it is unsightly. The more "stuff" I keep adding to get this GPS thing going the more tempted I am to just return to using Mapquest.

First of all welcome !

you will need a little patience when you first get started with your new TomTom but there is lots of help on here and other forums like http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=93

we all went through what you are going through but we survived :D

Can you see anything on your sd card with your tt unit ?

What size of card are you using ? if more that 4Gb you need app 8.30

There are different mounts out there some with better suction cups as well as other types.

here are a couple different ones

http://www.gpscity.com/gps-mount/tomtom/go-920

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/brodit-tomtom-x20-active-mount.php

There are a lot of good gurus on here and other forums;)

========

I use magnets on my 930.. for the quickest mount/dismount.

check out the tomtom 'showoff' threads.

Make sure the mp3s are in a folder called 'mp3' (all lower case, no quotes).

For the suction cup, make sure the windshield is clean where you want to place the cup, use a little spit on the cup and then press the cup onto the shield with the thumb and forefinger of each hand on either side of the stem; you are trying to compress the air out of the cup, you see, so apply decent pressure. Then, put the unit on the cup.

Wow! Thank you to all the quick and friendly experts here! :)

It is a 1GB SD (not SDHC) card. I tried formatting it as FAT32 and NTFS. Yup, there is an " mp3 " folder on the card as you indicated. I think the problem is I don't know what menu you are to use to find this folder. The Jukebox menu just seems to find the mp3 files in the internal memory. But what menu do you use to view the mp3 files on the SD card?

I think I'm going to avoid suction cups altogether. They simply are not reliable. In between it falling off, I'm just going to stare at it waiting to see it fall off. It amazes me that GPS companies can spend so much development and research time and money in the sophisticated electronics and then toss in a useless, unreliable suction cup. Suction cups = the weakest link in the whole deal.

Last edited:
First of all welcome !

you will need a little patience when you first get started with your new TomTom but there is lots of help on here and other forums like http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=93

we all went through what you are going through but we survived :D

Can you see anything on your sd card with your tt unit ?

What size of card are you using ? if more that 4Gb you need app 8.30

There are different mounts out there some with better suction cups as well as other types.

here are a couple different ones

http://www.gpscity.com/gps-mount/tomtom/go-920

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/brodit-tomtom-x20-active-mount.php

There are a lot of good gurus on here and other forums;)

Yup, my 920 has version 8.300 and I'm using a 1GB SD (non SDHC card).

Thanks for all the mounting suggestions. Despite their unsightliness and inconvenience, I'm strongly leaning toward the bean bag approach. I'm thinking of getting this one, and then gluing or bolting my factory suction cup mount to it. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NavGear-Universal-GPS-Bean-Bag-Dash-Mount-NEW_W0QQitemZ220293142222QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Electronics_CatchAll?hash=item220293142222&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A3|294%3A50

The "notches" in this bean bag should allow good visibility of the screen due to the short stubbyness of the TT 920 factory mount.

Last edited:
Yes That looks like it would work.

There has been a fair bit of chat on bean bag units over on the UK site.

here

What I did with my 920 was glue the suction cup to the flat black plate that came with the unit then glued the plate to the front edge of my dash with about 1/4 " overhanging the front edge of my dash. This isn't ideal but I like it.
( I used glue from Wal-Mart called welder )

here is another suction cup but it looks like it could be stronger and hold better than the one that comes with your unit'

link

As for the MP3 I just copied the mp3 folder to my sd card and the unit has no problem finding it.

Last edited:
As far as mounts are concerned, I too had trouble with the included one. I purchased the longer 'gooseneck' mount and have had no trouble at all with it. I think the fact that it has a suction cup 'lock' makes it much more reliable. An added bonus is that the long arm damps out vibration that was pretty noticeable with the short, solid mount. I also got one of the beanbags that I use when travelling and want to use the Tomtom in my rental car without sticking it to the window. With the beanbag, i use the included mount, wet the suction cup and it holds reasonably well. And if it happens to come undone, it doesn't usually fall since I normally put it on the console.

I have a 4GB SDHC card in my 920 and it has a folder named mp3 all in lower case. Internal storage also has a folder named mp3. If I go into the jukebox I see music files from both folders merged into one list.

I have used the suction cup mount on my Morgan which is much more likely to dislodge it than most cars. A little spit and it holds fine.

here

What I did with my 920 was glue the suction cup to the flat black plate that came with the unit then glued the plate to the front edge of my dash with about 1/4 " overhanging the front edge of my dash. This isn't ideal but I like it.

here is another suction cup but it looks like it could be stronger and hold better than the one that comes with your unit'

link

As for the MP3 I just copied the mp3 folder to my sd card and the unit has no problem finding it.

Here is an alternative mount available in Uk, not sure if you gan get this someplace on this side of the pond.

Looks like a neet idea with its own plug in simelar to the new 940.

I don't know anyone that has one but perhaps you will get a responce from someone else.
Link

GarCor, you gotta get more creative than just calling the link, 'link' :D

You Canadians are sooooo boring.:rolleyes:

:)p )

here

link

GarCor, you gotta get more creative than just calling the link, 'link' :D

You Canadians are sooooo boring.:rolleyes:

:)p )

Picky picky :D :D

You can't call Canadians boring when we have to get the Queen of England to Referee . LOL

OK I solved the mp3 problem -- the card that I was using was corrupt. Strangely enough, it always worked well in my digital camera. Regardless, a new 4GB SD (non-SDHC) is working great! :)

BTW, does non-SDHC vs. SDHC make any difference at all in the TT 920?? Also, what is the maximum capacity card that will work?

Thanks again guys! :D

OK I solved the mp3 problem -- the card that I was using was corrupt. Strangely enough, it always worked well in my digital camera. Regardless, a new 4GB SD (non-SDHC) is working great! :)

BTW, does non-SDHC vs. SDHC make any difference at all in the TT 920?? Also, what is the maximum capacity card that will work?

Thanks again guys! :D

I beleive that the refresh rate on the SDHC card is faster so depending what you are using it for.
If you are using the 8.30 App you can go to 8,16, aor larger GB but if you are using 8.010 app the largest you can use is 4GB.

Ask a Question