Bike dock

TomTom Model(s)
rider 2/ tom tom 1435
Anyone out there that can help me find a tom tom rider 2nd edition bike dock any help would great :eek:

Hi Linepainter

I did a quick search of Ebay and there are no rider2 docks there at the moment, however, they do come up quite regularly. I don't see where you are located, but TomTom lists the dock for the rider2 as an accessory in Australia and in the United Kingdom, but nothing in USA.
I would watch Ebay unless I was in a real hurry to get one.

PC

Rider 2 Bike Dock

I find it outrageous that TomTom doesn't offer/sell accessory parts for the Rider 2 -- especially the bike dock which is required in order to run the unit off the motorcycle's battery. It's very difficult to find one of these dock units. Mine failed shortly after installing it on my bike. I've spent hours on the phone with TomTom to no avail. All they could do is refer me to RAM Mounts. I spoke with them and was told that they don't make the dock, just the bracket for attaching the dock to my handlebar -- that the dock is made by TomTom. The Ram representative told me she's received lots of calls looking for this dock unit and doesn't know why TomTom is making these referrals. She also seemed to indicate that this dock problem was somewhat chronic and was afraid that if I bought a used GPS simply to get the dock, that the dock would likely be a problem. Talk about running around in circles. After spending more than $600 for this unit, I can only run it for a about 2 hours on a house charge. It's infuriating that TomTom doesn't support their units with these accessories. Also, the booklet which comes with the GPS says that you can get the dock as an additional accessory --This is pure B.S. It isn't available from TomTom or anyone else. Neither are any of the other "accessories" described in the TomTom booklet. Due to this fault with TomTom -- I'd recommend everyone, worldwide, boycott TomTom.

A working dock for the TomTom 2 is nearly impossible to find unless one shows up on EBay. Why should we have to go to EBay and engage in a bidding war to obtain an accessory which should be readily available from Tomtom? I regret that I didn't purchase a different brand.

Bob Murray

Try cleaning all of your contact points on the gps and the interface with the dock. Disconnect the unit from the dock on the bike. With a meter check to make sure you are receiving power at the dock. If no power then disconnect the power cable at the dock. Check for power at the cable. If no power then check your accessory fuse. If you have power up to the gps then the gps has a problem. This should help you isolate the problem.

If you are electrically challenged I would ride the bike over to an electronics shop and explain the problem to then. Your bike shop may be able to test it for you as well.

I don't think you need a new dock. I hope this helps. Keep us informed.

:)

I checked my installation. It was just as I remember. The wire that feeds the dock is very light gage. I would double check connections before buying another bike dock . :)

Nice read Alcapone 69. Voltage testing will isolate the problem area. I still think the original leads supplied by TomTom are flimsy. ;)

Rob,

I agree completely, have had the exact same problem with the bike dock and also now with the Scala
Headset failing (second go around on this item).
TomTom Support is okay if your within warranty but once it runs out they leave you swinging in the breeze.
There are other users out there with the same problem and I would guess that the support group wants to ignore this one until enough of us start to complain.

Just my 2 cents

Jim Elliott

Ask a Question