Can Rider 2nd Ed "BIKE DOCK" be damaged by reversed polarity connection?

I asked my Suzuki Dealer in KENT (UK) to wire in the lead for the Rider 2nd Edition Bike Dock, they did that ok (I think), but some idiot there instead of checking the shape/key of the connector plug, which is keyed to prevent it being inserted they wrong way into the Bike Dock, they instead just forced it together 180 degrees around the wrong way.

Took a lot of force to get the conector plug off the Bike Dock, but by then I had riden 30miles home with the Rider 2 on its Bike Dock.
The pins do not appear to be bent, however the Rider is not charging when on the Bike Dock with the engine running.
It does still charge ok from the mains adaptor at home, so all is not lost completely. I am just annoyed with the Suzuki Main Dealers servicing department (they ONLY sell and service Suzuki cars and bikes) for their blatent mistake of forcing the connector plug in the wrong way around.

What is likely to be wrong?

Does the Bike Dock have any circuitry within it that may have been damaged by wrong polarity from the plug connector being forced in the wrong way round?
Or could thr Rider unit itself have been damaged from wrong polarity?

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the Rider Models? but on another thread here regarding these models there is some discussion regarding a charging issue when connected to the bike, they mention "Drive Mode"?, you might check them out and see if that will help your problem............

I asked my Suzuki Dealer in KENT (UK) to wire in the lead for the Rider 2nd Edition Bike Dock, they did that ok (I think), but some idiot there instead of checking the shape/key of the connector plug, which is keyed to prevent it being inserted they wrong way into the Bike Dock, they instead just forced it together 180 degrees around the wrong way.
QUOTE]:eek:

That's why I am a do it yourself type. I used the hardware that came with the unit.

I would certainly hope there is a reverse polarity protection built into the circuitry of the dock. I don't know for sure.
I have just sent my hard wired Rider 2nd Edition dock back to Tomtom for repair / replacement as it just stopped charging the Rider after working perfectly fine for a couple of months. It would be very interesting to receive a comprehensive report as to what the fault was, so I included a note to that effect with the dock ..... I don't expect to hear back what had happened, but will keep you posted.

PC

Check if there is an in-line fuse as part of the Rider's cable (doesn't come with one but a lot of folks add one in, so your dealer might have), and see if it's blown?

Rgds,

Neil.

Thanks Neil, the fuse is certainly worth checking. Was OK in this case. Very strange fault as I found 5volts at the Left pin on the dock initially, but when it failled, there was nothing. Next day, it was fine again for half an hour riding??? Checked all wiring connection and they were all fine to the very fine socket that plugs into the dock.
Dock has been sent from New Zealand to Australia for repairs (thats another story ..... the freight company misplaced it for 10 days, I have only just managed to track it down in Auckland and I expect it now to be heading over to Australia today) Glad that the weather is bad and snow is lowering on the mountains so I am not inclined to go riding at the moment)

Hey, croptop. I have done the same thing, but by myself. I also have a TT rider 2nd edition. I have reversed the polarity by mistake. (retard ) The circuitry inside the bike dock is fried. I have ordered a new bike dock, which works great.
About the fried dock.. Being out of warranty, i did something : I was able to disassemble it. Looks nice inside :)
It doesn't look fried or black burned. So I guess it's only a fuse which needs to be replaced. I will take it this month to a friend which knows how to fix it. So I guess I will have two working units for the future.
My advice is to buy a new one since Tom Tom service will not replace it for dumb usage, even if is under warranty.

Good luck,

Cristian

Christian,
Thanks for posting...I have done the same. Foolishly I also read that the unit has a fuse inside so I have started to dismantle the GPS unit...and find no obvious fuse as I expected from other posts, other threads !
These docks are ludicrously overpriced aren'tthey. I have has the unit for years and although I am not a fan of the software from Tom Tom, I have no problems til now !

I was gonna ditch it too in place of a Garmin or something with a computer capatable map/route planning capability !
I hate Tomtom business model of updates subscriptions, traffic and map renewal (in full)each year ( Im only missing 1 months Mapshare update when renewal is is due.....It stinks and sucks you right in !

Anyway, I can get a replacement charging dock for ?60 here in the uk..eeven though Tom Tom price is ?44 but they wont sell from their website...I am sick of Tom Tom business practices ! ) and will try this fix after rading your post above....
Regards

Tim :thumb:

AFAIK the dock contains the 5V regulator circuit used to control the voltage used to charge the Rider, if you reverse connect this it usually blows the 5V zenner diode in quite a spectacular way (you can usually see the chared remains of whats left of it if you get in to the mount) - Mike

I have started to dismantle the GPS unit...and find no obvious fuse as I expected from other posts, other threads !

You should be dismantling the dock, not the GPS unit itself (but I guess you realised that now!)

I was gonna ditch it too in place of a Garmin or something with a computer capatable map/route planning capability !

The TomTom does... Have you not seen "Tyre" (originally written especially for bikers!)

I hate Tomtom business model of updates subscriptions, traffic and map renewal (in full)each year ( Im only missing 1 months Mapshare update when renewal is is due.....It stinks and sucks you right in !

Not sure I understand.... Mapshare updates are free., and there's nothing that says you need to update your map every year or every time a new version comes out. The only subscription is for Traffic.

Tyre is good for MS Internet Explorer...No thanks. Unix based Apple user here!

I wonder why when ever I have to update my maps each year, Tom Tom dont tell me its unnecessary as I always complain about the way it is subscribed to..O/10 for customer service !
( I was categorically informed that I needed the newest version map to use mapshare ! )
Postcodes invaribly fail. requiring lengthy phone calls to upload and install in full...They have had their chance to tell me Im wasting my money !

I dont subscribe to Traffic....what are they doing to me ?

Im even less impressed now ! :D

cheers

Donkey...I MEAN,Tim!

I'm sure I've heard of some Mac users who think Tyre is so good they run it in a Windows emulation on their smart white boxes.

You certainly don't HAVE to update anything and certainly not every time.
I think there *is* a time limit for Mapshare downloads for each map version, but I don't trust MapShare much anyway... apart from being useful for your OWN corrections, and that continues to work for ever.

I bet the majority of corrections from other people are made in the first few months of a new map - usually they will be just repeating the ones they have to re-do every time because they still haven't been ported over to the next map.,

Back to Original Topic

I've reversed the polarity when I was splicing the dock and bike wires. I blew a surface mounted fuse on the dock circuit board.

Here's how I fixed it (keep in mind I'm working from memory):

1. Disassemble the dock:
-Pull the hinge pins out the side. It's not a long through pin, they're two small stepped pins. You'll end up with two pieces of the dock, let's call them front (the one with four electrical pins) and back.
- Remove the hex screws on back of the front piece. (Don't try to pry the two halves of the front piece apart, there's a gasket there that could be damaged).
- Remove screws securing circuit board

2. Look at the circuit board right where it connects to the power plug. You'll see a surface mounted fuse with "2A" written next to it on the circuit board, there should be some evidence of charring around it.

3. Solder a wire between the ends of the blown fuse to bridge the gap.

4. Reassemble the dock, it's the reverse of the disassembly steps. Don't pinch the gasket!

5. Add a 2amp in-line fuse to the power (red) wire going to the dock to replace the blown fuse.

6. Buy your bike something nice with the money you were going to spend on a new dock. Oh, and buy me a beer.

Back to Original Topic

I've reversed the polarity when I was splicing the dock and bike wires. I blew a surface mounted fuse on the dock circuit board.

Here's how I fixed it (keep in mind I'm working from memory):

1. Disassemble the dock:
-Pull the hinge pins out the side. It's not a long through pin, they're two small stepped pins. You'll end up with two pieces of the dock, let's call them front (the one with four electrical pins) and back.
- Remove the hex screws on back of the front piece. (Don't try to pry the two halves of the front piece apart, there's a gasket there that could be damaged).
- Remove screws securing circuit board

2. Look at the circuit board right where it connects to the power plug. You'll see a surface mounted fuse with "2A" written next to it on the circuit board, there should be some evidence of charring around it.

3. Solder a wire between the ends of the blown fuse to bridge the gap.

4. Reassemble the dock, it's the reverse of the disassembly steps. Don't pinch the gasket!

5. Add a 2amp in-line fuse to the power (red) wire going to the dock to replace the blown fuse.

6. Buy your bike something nice with the money you were going to spend on a new dock. Oh, and buy me a beer.

How did you pull the hinge pins out of the dock?

Please note that this message was posted 7 years ago.

Since this is a peer-to-peer forum, there is a very good chance that this individual may no longer be posting on this forum

- Tom -
Can you pass my question on to anyone you think might have the answer?

Ask a Question