Best tomtom

tt.JPG

@Willy875
This is what they sent me about 4 hours ago. To me it doesn't make sense as like you said the sim needs reactivating and i am not interested to pay.

I read it as TomTom saying that the SIM hasn't been deactivated and therefore the SIM slot is faulty.

Presume it is out of warranty therefore it's your choice whether to send it for repair (at a charge) or not.

Hi @b4u2 - have you tried as @Willy875 suggests ? :-
Another solution is to remove your SIM which is located under the label, clean it gently then reinsert it into the GPS.

There is no need to send a GPS to reactivate a SIM. Tomtom reactivates it directly.
Well they haven't and all i got from tomtom was the email above?
I want them to just do as you say, perhaps help me

I think Tomtom has not understood that it is your SIM which is deactivated
Normally Tomtom can check on their server if your SIM is deactivated.

Afterwards it may be that your GPS has another problem than a deactivated SIM card.

Now the seller has asked me to return the item. So I ve wasted time contacting tom tom for nothing

There is another solution to receive traffic, which is to connect via your phone's Bluetooth.

How does traffic via bluetooth work?
Actually, with a 6200, you can use the WiFi capability of the device for a solid traffic connection. Set up your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect your 6200 to your phone's hotspot. Your 6200 will connect back to NL for traffic.

I prefer this to Bluetooth for stability. Not all phones' BT connections have played well with TomTom BT in the past. Have never had an issue with WiFi instead.

@canderson
Thanks but I don't see any point in that as if I was using a smartphone will use Google maps or waze. The idea of a tomtom is for those without a smartphone

@canderson
Thanks but I don't see any point in that as if I was using a smartphone will use Google maps or waze. The idea of a tomtom is for those without a smartphone
Some of us prefer it for other reasons --- often for font size (not getting any younger), quality and detail of traffic info, etc.

The phone is just in play to get the traffic info and send it on to the TT. The TT manages the rest of the work.

@canderson
The solution that I proposed to you is to save you 105th of repair costs.

On the other hand, if it is the SIM to deactivate, reactivation is done remotely without sending the GPS.

It may be a bit late for @b4u2 , but I can confirm that TomTom still honours their liflelong services for those devices that have it. What they do need though, is precise information on what kind of assistance you need. A simple "... does not work" often seems to lead to a dead-end in support, as someone in a call-center might be tempted to go the easy way to close a ticket, and refer the user to expired warranties and other brush-offs.

If you verify that your device is interacting with the mobile service provider (and hence there is no hardware failure) and is just getting rejected by all service providers it attempts to connect, then chances are, that Tomtom will file your problem into the correct queue and someone will end up checking the activation state of its sim-card and reactivate it.

To do so, you need to give them that information conceisely in the support ticket you're opening, even if some of the information is slightly redundant:
You might try to connect the device via USB to your computer, and update Software and Map. (remember installing a teensy map to the internal memory, just in case your main map gets corrupted - iceland is a perfect fit for a tight sqeeze)
If your Software version is outdated, chances are someone in a random call-center will get hung up on that and refuse to forward the case to those people who can be of real assistance) In my case the device would also connect with TomTom servers via MyDrive Connect, and allow me to log into services and sync my POI collection. (This probably also flags the device as "active" in case someone at TomTom support goes looking for last contact).

What to include:
  • Model of the device
  • Serial Number
  • IMEI
  • SIM ID
  • GPRS Status (when the device is running on Battery), check a few times after switching on, for example 1, 2 and 5 minutes after the devices has started, and take note if the status changes. (Status information contain the provider connected, and whether the device has been rejected, is still trying, or happily roaming). It doesn't hurt to compare with a working device, to confirm that this is not a matter of "no GPRS service in your area"..
  • App Version
  • The first level support also wanted to know how long the device would run on battery... (was surprisingly long in my case, idly displaying the local position on my windowsill had all my devices run for more than one hour, and they're from 2015 and still on their first battery!)

Label your ticket clearly with your expectations (please re-enable GPRS services), not with something that would lead someone into a weird bug-hunt down hardware-lane (services are not working).

You'll probably be asked for a few screenshots displaying that information as well.

In my case it took a bit more than a week, and the sim-card in my other shelved-too-long Go6100 has been reactivated (at no cost, and without sending the device anywhere).

Last edited:

Ask a Question