battery life

Hopefully this works checking on E-Bay I found a few locations around the world that offer batteries for Tom toms

Description Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.
Item Specifics - Item Condition
Condition: New
Brand new replacement GPS battery for
TomTom ONE
OEM equivalent HIGH CAPACITY.

VOLTAGE AND POWER RATING
- 3.7V and 1450mAh.

Not much of an improvement over the standard battery.

No its not much of an improvement but if your battery dies and its out of warranty at least we know we can get a replacement.

No its not much of an improvement but if your battery dies and its out of warranty at least we know we can get a replacement.
The original poster was looking for an increase in operating time from 2 hours to 5 hours!

A couple of points....

Reducing screen brightness can very much extend run times. My test at lowest brightness had the battery dying somewhere between 4:15 and 4:30. But lowest brightness may not be adequate for daytime use. On the other hand, I've just ordered a screen shade, primarily to stop the reflection of the display on the windshield above it. But I imagine you could also lower the brightness/extend the battery life with a shade.

Secondly, because of the discharge characteristics of batteries, a battery with 50% more "capacity" will typically extend your run time more than 50%. Oftentime the stated capacity is not really attainable (i.e. you can actually use the last 10-15% because the voltage may be too low.)

So an 1100mAh battery might really give 900mAh and the 1450 might actually give 1250mAh. Comparing 900 to 1250, you'll see it's a bigger jump percentagewise than 1100 to 1450.

The battery in my TT One is a Maxell 653443. The Glasgow compatible batteries connectors are a little too wide and will not plug in my unit. So far the only place I have found that has this battery is a company named Foxlink. I sent them an email today to find out if they still have them and how much they cost.

Well, what about a way of completely turning off your TomTom? When you turn it off normaly, it keeps draining the battery and flattens it out in about 2 weeks... not good for storing it when it's not in use. :(

You can turn your TT completely off. After turning it off the normal way with the power button, do a reset with a paper clip. I do this when ever I think I'm not going to use it for awhile. I've left in on the shelf this way (after reset) for 2 weeks and when I turned it on, the battery showed fully charged. It does take longer to find the satellites -- but I expected that. You will need to reset the clock - but that's no big deal.

You can turn your TT completely off. After turning it off the normal way with the power button, do a reset with a paper clip.
Sadly this method to fully power down the device will only work on the units with a paperclip reset switch, the newer devices all use the power on/ off switch for the reset function making a full power down this way impossible - Mike

TomTom One Large Capacity Battery

A number on online vendors list large capacity batteries for the various TomTom One variants.

I recently ordered a "TOMTOM ONE Regional Extended Li-ion 1450Mah" from Megacapacity.com (part no. 23939-CS-TM500XL) for my TomTom One LE. Their website lists it as compatible with a wide range of TomTom One models, including ONE, ONE Europe, ONE Regional, RIDER, V2. For $20.50, free shipping and a 30 day return policy if it doesn't work, I decided to give it a try.

Here's the link to that particular product: High Capacity Battery For TOMTOM ONE Extended Li-ion 1450Mah - ONE

I'll post a 'review' when I receive the battery.

-Wes

You can turn your TT completely off. After turning it off the normal way with the power button, do a reset with a paper clip. I do this when ever I think I'm not going to use it for awhile. I've left in on the shelf this way (after reset) for 2 weeks and when I turned it on, the battery showed fully charged. It does take longer to find the satellites -- but I expected that. You will need to reset the clock - but that's no big deal.

you don't need to turn the tomtom off first before doing this. Just do a pin reset while the unit is running. And I've never had to reset the clock after doing this.

I've left mine for a month after a pin reset and no power loss on my return.

I think. but not sure, on the newer units, holding the off/on button down for some seconds does the same thing as a pin reset.

Ask a Question