battery life

Well, what about a way of completely turning off your TomTom? When you turn it off normaly, it keeps draining the battery and flattens it out in about 2 weeks... not good for storing it when it's not in use. :(

What we need is someone brave enough, and skilled, to open the TomTom One and show the battery thats installed. Then, it may be possible to figure out if a larger capacity battery is available, one that also fits into the space available.

At the moment, I would only open mine if I were replacing the battery with something bigger.

Caveat: this would undoubtedly VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

I think the battery life in the TTONE ia :confused: JOKE! I can charge mine, shut it off, and turn it on a few days later and the battery level has already gone down, what the heck?

What we need is someone brave enough, and skilled, to open the TomTom One and show the battery thats installed. Then, it may be possible to figure out if a larger capacity battery is available, one that also fits into the space available.

At the moment, I would only open mine if I were replacing the battery with something bigger.

Caveat: this would undoubtedly VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
A bit tricky to open but here are some pictures of the inside.

Attachments

• TomTom One Open .jpg
    TomTom One Open .jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 603
  • TomTom One Battery Side .jpg
    TomTom One Battery Side .jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 603
  • TomTom One Component Side .jpg
    TomTom One Component Side .jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 521
You're definitely brave :) but thanks for sharing that. Is that battery something you can buy in retail stores?
It's a Maxell lithium-ion battery -- 3.7V at 1100 mAh

Need to find one of the same physical size and much greater capacity!

=Mac98;26865]"Then, it may be possible to figure out if a larger .."
MAXELL ...
Dimensions(mm)*1 Weight (g)*2 Charge(CCCV) Discharge(CC) Minimum Capacity(mAh)*3
T?W?H Max. Voltage(V) End Voltage(V)
Max. Current(A) Max. Current(A)
Nominal Voltage(V) 3.7V all
ICP653443AR 6.2?0.3 21 4.2 2.75 1100
33.8?0.2 1.1 1.65
42.6+0/-0.5
ICP803443AR 7.7?0.3 25 4.2 2.75 1350
33.8?0.2 1.35 2.03
42.6+0/-0.5

Only one that may fit - bigger is the ICP803443 0.5mm THICKER
But where to get it ?

=Mac98;26865]

<snip>

Only one that may fit - bigger is the ICP803443 0.5mm THICKER
But where to get it ?
The lithium-ion battery appears to be popular for cameras. Perhaps a full-service camera shop would have a replacement chart.

However, consider that to add 50% capacity/time, you'd need a 1650 mAh battery and I don't know if they make one that large in that size package.

Heat buildup and charging circuitry specs are a concern...

It's a Maxell lithium-ion battery -- 3.7V at 1100 mAh

Need to find one of the same physical size and much greater capacity!

I don't think it was a strategic move by TomTom to put a wimpy battery in the One. More likely it was a consideration of the necessary size, charging rate and heat tolerance of adjoining components.

These issues have been dealt with for years by palmtop computer users whose hardware didn't have a user-serviceable battery. It was a perpetual hunt for a battery that would work with very specific constraints. Typically, there was a realization that the manufacturer had the battery custom made to their physical and electrical specs. In other words, it was virtually impossible to find a substitute battery that didn't require some hacking of the hardware or the circuitry. I saw some great examples of the Frankenstein method of hammering in a generic battery. Yikes!

Realistically, we all have to prepare for the day that our TT battery finally passes on. Hopefully, when our unit gives up the ghost, the latest whiz-bang GPS device will be calling us.
;)

Last edited:
How did you get it open?
Power off and remove the SD card. Remove the 4 screws with a T-9 torx and using a case separator gently insert at the top and pry apart. There is noticeable resistance until one side pops loose. Then carefully separate the halves.

If you use a screw driver to pry at the top you have a good chance to gouge or mark the outside. I used the case separator that came with a battery for the iPod (it will also work with iPhone).

Have fun...

Energizer battery booster

It's easier to buy the $25 Energizer battery booster from Radio Shack or similar. It just plugs into the normal mini USB connector!:)

Forgive my ignorance, I have only had my one for a few weeks. A two hour run time seems to be plenty. How often to you guys run your TT outside of your car? I have a Magellan that I use for geocaching with it's lcd b&w display it runs a long time on a pair of lithium "AA" batteries. The TT with its color back light display needs a lot of power to run it.
If you need a longer run time outside of your car or away from your PC there are many different kinds of battery packs with a usb port that will run your TT . I have one that I got for $5.00 that holds 4 "AA" batteries and a usb port that runs all my usb powered devices. With lithium "AA" batteries in runs my PDA for while. I use it as an MP3 player.

Forgive my ignorance, I have only had my one for a few weeks. A two hour run time seems to be plenty.
I don't like the in-car power supply because of the location of the power socket (in the center armrest bin) - the cord runs over the radio, etc. I sure would be nice to have a 5-hour battery.
The TT with its color back light display needs a lot of power to run it.
If you need a longer run time outside of your car or away from your PC there are many different kinds of battery packs with a usb port that will run your TT . I have one that I got for $5.00 that holds 4 "AA" batteries and a usb port that runs all my usb powered devices. With lithium "AA" batteries in runs my PDA for while. I use it as an MP3 player.
The TT battery is rated at 1100 mAh if I recall correctly and rechargeable lithiums at around 2400 mAh for a couple of bucks each are on the market. I daresay that a battery pack of four of those would be excellent!!

I don't like the in-car power supply because of the location of the power socket (in the center armrest bin) - the cord runs over the radio, etc. I sure would be nice to have a 5-hour battery.

I never thought of that. I have the power cord hidden and it does not bother me.

E-Bay site

Hopefully this works checking on E-Bay I found a few locations around the world that offer batteries for Tom toms

Sign in Fran?ais | Site Map

Categories Motors Stores

Advanced Search
Buy Sell My eBay Community Help

How to Sell
Seller Central
Seller Tools
Shipping Centre
Open an eBay Store

##1##
##2##

Back to list of items Listed in category: Consumer Electronics > GPS Devices > Accessories & Cables > Other Accessories

Hi-CAP Battery for TomTom ONE Europe Regional RIDER V2 Item number: 150175918067

Buyer or seller of this item? Sign in for your status Watch this item in My eBay

This item has been added to My eBay for Guests.
As a guest, you can:
Track up to 10 items on this computer in My eBay
Receive an email reminder for this item a few hours before it ends

View larger picture

price: US $11.99 Buy It Now >
(approximately C $11.53)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End time: 01-Nov-07 23:15:33 EDT (3 days 15 hours)
Shipping costs: To Canada -- US $6.99
Standard Int'l Flat Rate Shipping
Service to Canada
(more services)
Ships to: United States, Europe, Asia, Canada, Australia, Mexico
Item location: Your Wireless Solution, Canada
Quantity: 2 available
History: Purchases

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also:
Bid with Bid Assistant

Get alerts via Instant Messaging
Email to a friend

Listing and payment details: HideShow
Starting time: 25-Oct-07 23:15:33 EDT
Duration: 7-day listing
Payment methods: PayPal (preferred)
See details

Meet the seller
Seller: cellular-link( 10462)
Member: since 21-Jul-03 in Canada

See detailed feedback
Ask seller a question
Add to Favourite Sellers
View seller's other items: Store | List
Visit seller's Store:
Cellular-Link Wireless

Contact the seller instantly

Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
Score: 10462 | 98.9% Positive
See detailed feedback
2. Check how you're protected

Up to $2,000 buyer protection. See eligibility

Description Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item.

Item Specifics - Item Condition
Condition: New

This translation is provided as a service. eBay cannot guarantee its accuracy. View Item Specifics in original language.

Cellular-Link Wireless

Visit my eBay Store:Cellular-Link Wireless

Unlocked GSM Phones | SIM Cards | PDA Batteries | Phone Batteries | Gift Packs/Bundled Items

Add to Favourite Stores | Sign up for Store newsletter

? AP6.0

Brand new replacement GPS battery for
TomTom ONE
OEM equivalent HIGH CAPACITY.

TYPE
- Removeable Lithium-Ion battery.

VOLTAGE AND POWER RATING
- 3.7V and 1450mAh.

CONDITION
- Brand new in retail package.

PART NUMBER
- CS-TM500XL

- TomTom ONE / ONE Europe / ONE Regional.
- TomTom Rider.

- 1x Removeable Li-Ion battery.
- 1x Retail package with warranty information.

Ask a Question